You Got It All (The Jets song)
|"You Got It All"|
|Single by The Jets|
|from the album The Jets|
|B-side||"Burn the Candle"|
|The Jets singles chronology|
"You Got It All" is a song recorded by American band the Jets. It was released in 1986 as the fourth single from their debut studio album The Jets (1985). It was written by Rupert Holmes, most famous for the 1979 hit "Escape (The Piña Colada Song)", and produced by Don Powell (not to be confused with Slade's drummer) and David Rivkin. Holmes wrote it for his 10-year-old daughter Wendy but she never got to hear it become a hit, as prior to its release she died suddenly of an undiagnosed brain tumour. The song features the second youngest member of the group, then-13-year-old Elizabeth Wolfgramm, on lead vocals.
"You Got It All" peaked at number three on the Billboard Hot 100 in the US in early 1987. The song also topped the adult contemporary chart for two weeks, and reached number two on the R&B chart, kept from the top spot by "Let's Wait Awhile" by Janet Jackson. It was also featured in the film Jaws: The Revenge as well as 1987 episodes of the daytime soap operas Another World, As the World Turns, Days of Our Lives, and General Hospital.
Britney Spears version
|"You Got It All"|
|Promotional single by Britney Spears|
|from the album Oops!... I Did It Again|
|Released||May 16, 2000|
|Producer(s)||Eric Foster White|
In 1997, Britney Spears started to work on her debut album ...Baby One More Time. After meeting up with producer Eric Foster White in August, the singer become familiar with the original version of "You've Got It All" by the Jets and decided to record a cover of the song. Steve Lunt, Jive's A&R vice president at the time, revealed that when the label's CEO "heard [the track] in the A&R meeting, he said, 'OK, we've got something.' Up until that, it was in doubt." "You Got It All" was originally intended to be released on Spears' debut album as a bonus track, however, it was only released on certain international editions of Oops!... I Did It Again (2000).
A favorable review from CD Universe said, "The Jets' gem 'You've Got It All' shines brightly as ever with Britney's girlish allure. Take note, however, that Britney's not all bubbles—with an obvious influence from Mariah Carey, she glides quite ably through the key changes and delivers octave leaps and vibratos that should melt just about any heart, young or old."
- Filipino pop singer Arnee Hidalgo recorded her version of the song in 2000.
- Filipino acoustic band MYMP recorded their version of the song in 2005.
- "You Got It All by The Jets". Songfacts. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. 1987-04-11. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "The Jets Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "The Jets Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard.
- "The Jets Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.
- "CASH BOX Top 100 Singles". March 7, 1987.
- "Top 100 Singles of '87". Library and Archives Canada. Archived from the original on 2012-10-21.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1987/Top 100 Songs of 1987". Music Outfitters.
- Cash Box Year-End Charts: Top 100 Pop Singles, December 26, 1987
- Knopper 2009, pp. 92
- Oops!... I Did It Again liner notes. Jive Records (2000).
- "...Baby One More Time – Album Review". CD Universe. Intermix Media. Retrieved 2011-03-04.