You Got Lucky
|"You Got Lucky"|
|Single by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers|
|from the album Long After Dark|
|B-side||"Between Two Worlds"|
|Released||October 22, 1982|
|Writer(s)||Tom Petty, Mike Campbell|
|Producer(s)||Tom Petty, Jimmy Iovine|
|Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers singles chronology|
"You Got Lucky" is the first single from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' album Long After Dark. The song peaked at #20 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #1 on the Billboard Top Tracks chart, where it stayed for three weeks at the end of 1982.
The look of the official video echoes the postapocalyptic feature film Mad Max 2, released in 1981. Both are set in a dusty, eclectic world of somewhat vintage electronics and mechanical devices in a gritty landscape.
The video begins with Tom Petty and Mike Campbell happening upon a black tent in the desert after riding in a hovercar (from the television series Logan's Run). They find a radio/cassette player and play the tape, which begins the music of "You Got Lucky". The other band members, Howie Epstein, Benmont Tench, and Stan Lynch, arrive in a motorcycle and sidecar.
Entering the tent, they turn on electricity for music studio equipment as well as a bank of television sets which feature Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers' videos for "Here Comes My Girl" and "A Woman In Love (It's Not Me)". A clip from the Galactica 1980 episode "Galactica Discovers Earth, Part I" plays on one of the televisions. Mike plays a guitar solo, Howie hits a jackpot on a slot machine, and Tom overturns an Astro Invader arcade video game before they all ride away, leaving only behind the cassette player.
- Tom Petty – lead vocals
- Mike Campbell – rhythm and lead guitars
- Benmont Tench – acoustic piano, synthesizer
- Stan Lynch – drums
- Howie Epstein – bass guitar, backing vocals
- Phil Jones – percussion
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||20|
|U.S. Billboard Top Tracks||1|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||30|
- A cover of the song appears on the Deluxe Version of The Gaslight Anthem's 2012 album Handwritten.
- Divine Fits performed "You Got Lucky" on their 2013 tour.
- Tony Lucca recorded a cover of the song on his 2011 album Under The Influence.
- Ridley Bent covered the song on his 2014 album Wildcard.
- "Listen to Divine Fits Cover Tom Petty's 'You Got Lucky' At Bonnaroo". ConsequenceOfSound.net. June 2013.
- Ladan, Bruce (5 April 2014). "Ridley Bent releases fourth album Wildcard in Winnipeg". CBC News. Retrieved November 5, 2014.