You Lie (The Band Perry song)
|Single by The Band Perry|
|from the album The Band Perry|
|Released||January 18, 2011|
|The Band Perry singles chronology|
"You Lie" is a song written by Aaron, Brian and Clara Henningsen, and recorded by The Band Perry, an American country music group. It was released in January 2011 as the third single from the band's self-titled debut album, and their second consecutive release to reach top ten on the Hot Country Songs chart.
The song's female narrator is angered by her significant other's infidelity and constant lying, using similes to describe his lies. In the song's bridge, she throws his wedding ring in a river. The song was written by Aaron, Brian, and Clara Henningsen.
Blake Boldt, in his review of the album on Engine 145, praised Kimberly's vocals on the track, saying that she "really shines when she's been wronged by her man." Bobby Peacock of Roughstock gave the single four-and-a-half stars out of five, saying that her vocal was "bold and expressive." He also stated that the song was "a little more mature" than the band's first two singles.
David McClister directed the song's music video, which was released in February 2011. The video starts with an American Gothic scene, an Engagement Party for the narrator (Kimberly Perry). It shows the band performing at the dinner table, in front of a brown background, and in front of a tight red background. This video features Survivor: Redemption Island contestant Matt Elrod.
"You Lie" debuted at number 59 on the Hot Country Songs charts dated for the week ending December 25, 2010. It soon reached number 2 on that chart, behind "Honey Bee" by Blake Shelton. It debuted at No. 80 on the Billboard Hot 100, and peaked at number 42 on that chart.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
|US Billboard Hot 100||42|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||5|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Cheung, Nadine (December 16, 2010). "The Band Perry, 'You Lie' – New Song". AOL Radio Blog. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- Boldt, Blake (October 21, 2010). "The Band Perry review". Engine 145. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- Peacock, Bobby (January 10, 2011). ""You Lie" review". Roughstock. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- Morris, Edward (December 18, 2010). "Taylor Swift, Rascal Flatts Keep Their Places at the Top of Charts". CMT. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- "The Band Perry – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for The Band Perry. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "The Band Perry – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for The Band Perry. Retrieved March 10, 2011.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "American single certifications – The Band Perry – You Lie". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved January 16, 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH