You Make Me Feel Like Dancing
|"You Make Me Feel Like Dancing"|
|Single by Leo Sayer|
|from the album Endless Flight|
|Format||7" (45 rpm), 12" (45 rpm) maxi single|
2:50 (7" version)
|Label||Chrysalis Records (UK)
Warner Bros. Records (US)
|Songwriter(s)||Vini Poncia, Leo Sayer|
|Leo Sayer singles chronology|
"You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" is a song by the British singer Leo Sayer, taken from his 1976 album Endless Flight. The song reached number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart, making it his first number-one single in the United States, and reached number 2 on the UK Singles Chart. Billboard ranked it as the No. 13 song of 1977. Songwriters Sayer and Vini Poncia won a Grammy Award for the song in 1978 in the category Best R&B Song.
In Australia, a live performance from the TV show Countdown is frequently used in place of a music video.
On February 13, 2012, the TV One original series Unsung aired an episode on Ray Parker Jr., in which he claimed that he was the song's original writer. Allegedly, he was playing the song on the piano, and an executive from Capitol Records heard it and later convinced him to make a demo tape. After the song came out by Sayer, Parker, Jr. could not claim copyright infringement seeing as he failed to make the tape.
- Leo Sayer - vocals
- John Barnes - clavinet
- Larry Carlton, Ray Parker, Jr. - guitar
- Steve Gadd - drums
- Clydie King, Becky Louis, Sherlie Matthews - background vocals
- Chuck Rainey - bass
- Sylvia wrote Swedish lyrics for "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" and recorded this rendering: "Det Känns Som Jag Vill Dansa", for her 1977 album Leenden I Regn
- A remixed version of "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" credited to Groove Generation featuring Leo Sayer charted on the UK Singles Chart in 1998, peaking at #32.
- A cover by Carmen Carter & Donnie McClurkin featured in the 2000 Walt Disney Pictures direct-to-video animated film An Extremely Goofy Movie.
- A cover version sung by actress Anne Hathaway was included on the soundtrack for the 2004 film Ella Enchanted, adapted from the fantasy novel of the same name.
- A cover was performed by Hot Buttered Rum String Band on their live release "Live in The Northeast."
- In 2008, The Wiggles sang the song as the title work of their DVD "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing," with Leo Sayer guest starring.
Appearances in other media
- In 1977, the cast performed the song during a medley on an episode of The Brady Bunch Variety Hour.
- The 1977 comedy film Slap Shot features the song in an early scene.
- The song is featured in the 1978 film An Unmarried Woman.
- Sayer performed the song alongside human sized dancing birds on The Muppet Show.
- In episode 3F21 of The Simpsons ("Homerpalooza"), a teenaged Homer and his friend Barney alternate singing the chorus of this song into hairbrushes in Homer's room.
- Fringe - Season Three, Episode 11: Recipsrocity, Dr. Walter Bishop (John Noble) and Agent Astrid Farnsworth (Jasika Nicole) are in Dr. Bishop's lab examining the body of a 'shapeshifter', with the song playing in the background.
- The song is featured in several scenes in the 1996 film To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday.
- It was featured in the 2000 film Charlie's Angels (film).
- Song is featured in film Hardcore Henry.
- It was also used in film Bride and Prejudice in the trailer.
- "Leo Sayer - You Make Me Feel Like Dancing / Magdalena (Vinyl) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing by Leo Sayer Songfacts". Songfacts.com. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- Bronson, Fred (2003). The Billboard Book of #1 Hits, 5th Edition (Billboard Publications)
- "Leo Sayer - Full Official Chart History". Official Charts Company. Official Charts Company. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Steffen Hung. "Forum - 1970 (ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts)". Australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
- RPM Adult Contemporary, January 8, 1977
- "Musicline.de – Leo Sayer Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Irish Singles Chart – Search for song". Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Leo Sayer – You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Leo Sayer – You Make Me Feel Like Dancing". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Leo Sayer – You Make Me Feel Like Dancing". Singles Top 100.
- "Leo Sayer Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard.
- "Leo Sayer Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
- "Top Selling Singles of 1977 | The Official New Zealand Music Chart". Nztop40.co.nz. 1977-12-31. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
- "Top 100 1977 - UK Music Charts". Uk-charts.top-source.info. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1977/Top 100 Songs of 1977". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
"You Don't Have to Be a Star (To Be in My Show)" by Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr.
|Billboard Hot 100 number-one single
January 15, 1977 (one week)
"I Wish" by Stevie Wonder