You Make Me Feel Like Dancing
|"You Make Me Feel Like Dancing"|
|Single by Leo Sayer|
|from the album Endless Flight|
|Format||7" (45 rpm)|
2:50 (7" version)
|Label||Chrysalis Records (UK)
Warner Bros. Records (US)
|Writer(s)||Vini Poncia, Leo Sayer|
|Leo Sayer singles chronology|
"You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" is a song by the British singer Leo Sayer, taken from his 1976 album Endless Flight. The song reached number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart, making it his first number-one single in United States, and reached number 2 on the UK Singles Chart. Billboard ranked it as the No. 13 song of 1977. Songwriters Sayer and Vini Poncia won a Grammy Award for the song in 1978 in the category Best R&B Song.
In Australia, a live performance from the TV show "Countdown" is frequently used in place of a music video.
On February 13, 2012, the TV One original series Unsung aired an episode on Ray Parker Jr., in which he claimed that he was the song's original writer. Allegedly, he was playing the song on the piano, and an executive from Capitol Records heard it and later convinced him to make a demo tape. After the song came out by Sayer, Parker, Jr. could not claim copyright infringement seeing as he failed to make the tape.
Weekly singles charts
- Sylvia wrote Swedish lyrics for "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" and recorded this rendering: "Det Känns Som Jag Vill Dansa", for her 1977 album Leenden I Regn
- A remixed version of "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" credited to Groove Generation featuring Leo Sayer charted on the UK Singles Chart in 1998, peaking at #32.
- A cover by Carmen Carter & Donnie McClurkin featured in the 2000 Walt Disney Pictures direct-to-video animated film An Extremely Goofy Movie.
- A cover version sung by actress Anne Hathaway was included on the soundtrack for the 2004 film Ella Enchanted, adapted from the fantasy novel of the same name.
- A cover was performed by Hot Buttered Rum String Band on their live release "Live in The Northeast."
- In 2008, The Wiggles sang the song as the title work of their DVD "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing," with Leo Sayer guest starring.
Appearances in other media
- In 1977, the cast performed the song during a medley on an episode of The Brady Bunch Variety Hour.
- The 1977 comedy film Slap Shot features the song in an early scene. The song is also featured in the 1978 film An Unmarried Woman.
- In episode 3F21 of The Simpsons ("Homerpalooza"), a teenaged Homer and his friend Barney alternate singing the chorus of this song into hairbrushes in Homer's room.
- Fringe - Season Three, Episode 11: Reciprocity, Dr. Walter Bishop (John Noble) and Agent Astrid Farnsworth (Jasika Nicole) are in Dr. Bishop's lab examining the body of a 'shapeshifter', with the song playing in the background.
- "Leo Sayer - You Make Me Feel Like Dancing / Magdalena (Vinyl) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing by Leo Sayer Songfacts". Songfacts.com. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- Bronson, Fred (2003). The Billboard Book of #1 Hits, 5th Edition (Billboard Publications)
- "Leo Sayer - Full Official Chart History". Official Charts Company. Official Charts Company. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles of 1977
- "Musicline.de – Leo Sayer Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Irish Singles Chart – Search for song". Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Leo Sayer – You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Leo Sayer – You Make Me Feel Like Dancing". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Leo Sayer – You Make Me Feel Like Dancing". Singles Top 100.
- "Leo Sayer – Chart history" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Leo Sayer.
- "Leo Sayer – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Leo Sayer.
"You Don't Have to Be a Star (To Be in My Show)" by Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr.
|Billboard Hot 100 number-one single
January 15, 1977 (one week)
"I Wish" by Stevie Wonder