You Make My Dreams
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"You Make My Dreams"|
|Single by Hall & Oates|
|from the album Voices|
|B-side||"Gotta Lotta Nerve (Perfect Perfect)"|
|Released||May 2, 1981|
|Hall & Oates singles chronology|
"You Make My Dreams", sometimes incorrectly referred to as "You Make My Dreams Come True", is a song by the American duo Hall & Oates, taken from their ninth studio album, Voices (1980). The song reached number five on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1981. The track received 154,000 digital sales between 2008 and 2009 according to Nielsen SoundScan.
John Oates said the song came about "through a happy accident, my guitar player friend of mine and myself were jamming in the dressing room, and I started playing a delta blues and he started playing a Texas swing, and we put them together, and all of a sudden into my head popped "you make my dreams." I just started singing it. I don't know why, but I did. And it sounded really cool and everyone liked it. It was as simple as that."
In popular culture
- The song was featured in the films The Wedding Singer (1998), Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd (2003), Step Brothers (2008) (500) Days of Summer (2009), Despicable Me 2 (2013), Eddie the Eagle (2016), Ready Player One (2018) and ‘’Ugly dolls ‘’ (2019).
- In 2012, it appeared in an eHarmony commercial. It appears in a 2017 commercial for Applebee's.
- The song appears in The Office, Modern Family and Young Sheldon.
- The song appears in a 2018 commercial for Dick's Sporting Goods, promoting a Father's Day sale, as well as a 2019 commercial for KFC Australia.
- The song was used by the Toronto Maple Leafs during their home games in the 2018–19 and 2019–20 seasons as the team goal song.
- The Milwaukee Brewers use the song during home games, playing the song after winning a game.
- The song has appeared three times in 2020 TV commercials, appearing in a Google Maps ad that ran during the 92nd Academy Awards on February 9, for American Family Insurance, and in a cover version for an ad by Michelob Ultra starring Jimmy Butler about the restart of the 2019-20 NBA season.
- "You Make My Dreams" was used as a walk-out theme for Jill Biden during the 2020 presidential campaign and played during the fireworks and drone light show following then President-elect Joe Biden's victory speech in Wilmington, Delaware on November 7, 2020.
- Kermit The Frog sang the song on The Masked Singer as The Snail on March 10, 2021.
- Daryl Hall – lead vocals and backing vocals, synthesizer
- John Oates – electric guitar and backing vocals
- John Siegler – bass and backing vocals
- Jerry Marotta – drums
- AllMusic Hall & Oates chart history
- Donahue, Ann (November 3, 2010). "Hall & Oates Embrace Their Hipster Faithful". Billboard. Retrieved August 12, 2017.
- "John Oates : Songwriter Interviews". Songfacts. April 7, 2011. Retrieved February 26, 2021. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Applebee's Tapped Steak & Twisted Potatoes TV Commercial, 'Dreams Come True'". ispot.tv. Retrieved November 19, 2017.
- "'Dick's Sporting Goods TV Commercial, 'Father's Day Best Price Guarantee'". ispot.tv. Retrieved June 7, 2018..
- "Leafs Offence Putting on a Show". Toronto Star. Retrieved September 30, 2018..
- "Daryl Hall John Oates Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved June 1, 2017.
- "Daryl Hall John Oates Chart History (Mainstream Rock)". Billboard. Retrieved March 30, 2017.
- "CASH BOX Top 100 Singles – Week ending July 18, 1981". Archived from the original on September 17, 2012. Retrieved March 6, 2018.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)Cash Box magazine.
- "Hall + Oates". wweb.uta.edu.
- "You make my dreams come true". wweb.uta.edu.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1981/Top 100 Songs of 1981". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved October 25, 2016.
- "Year-End Charts: Top 100 Pop Singles,". Cash Box. December 26, 1981. Archived from the original on September 18, 2012. Retrieved March 6, 2018.