This article contains a list of miscellaneous information. (February 2017)
|Single by Napalm Death|
|from the album Scum|
|B-side||"Mega-Armageddon Death Pt. 3" by Electro Hippies|
|Recorded||August 1986 at Rich Bitch Studio, Birmingham, England, United Kingdom|
|Genre||Grindcore, novelty song|
The song was written by band members Nicholas Bullen, Justin Broadrick, and Mick Harris during the sessions for the From Enslavement to Obliteration demo recording in March 1986, and is featured on the album Scum, released in 1987.
According to Broadrick:
"You Suffer" was largely a comedy thing, one-second song. Utterly retarded. It's ridiculous, but it was hilarious. We played that song in front of 30 local kids, like, every weekend. We played that song 30 times. It was a laugh.
In 1989, the song appeared on one side of a 7" single given away free with copies of a compilation album entitled Grindcrusher. The song on the other side, "Mega-Armageddon Death Part 3" by the Electro Hippies, also lasts approximately one second, making the disc the shortest single ever released. Each side features one groove at the outer edge of the disc containing the music (with the rest of the surface containing etched writing and cartoons).
"You Suffer" would become an influence on the "noisecore" micro-genre, inspiring many bands such as Sore Throat, 7 Minutes of Nausea, Deche-Charge, Anal Cunt, and others to release full-length recordings of exclusively "microsong" content.
- McPheeters, Sam (9 March 2006). "Extreme Extremeness". OCWeekly.
- Kory Grow, "Slaves to the Grind," Precious Metal: Decibel Presents the Stories Behind 25 Extreme Metal Masterpieces, Albert Mudrian, ed., Da Capo Press, p. 61.
- Grow, p. 62.
- Zak Smith, We Did Porn: Memoir and Drawings, Tin House Books, p. 475.
- Grindcrusher page on the Dicogs.com
- "New NAPALM DEATH Videos Of Classic Early Tracks Posted Online". Road Runner Records. 13 March 2007. Archived from the original on 15 September 2016.
- on YouTube