You and Your Heart
|"You and Your Heart"|
|Single by Jack Johnson|
|from the album To the Sea|
|Released||April 6, 2010|
|Genre||Soft rock, surf rock|
|Length||3:16 (album version)|
3:12 (radio edit)
|Label||Brushfire, Universal Republic|
|Jack Johnson singles chronology|
"You and Your Heart" is a song by Hawaiian singer-songwriter Jack Johnson and is the lead single from his fifth studio album, To the Sea. The song was released to radio in early April 2010, and was released via download on April 6. In Canada, the song premiered on CKOI-FM in Montreal on April 1, 2010.
Background and song meaning
Johnson told MTV News in regards to the inspiration of You and Your Heart, "[That song] started off with this guitar riff that I had around for a while, actually had it on the last record, and we liked it, but we didn't have any words for it yet, nothing came natural, so I didn't use it. And at some point, some of the books I was reading started leading me in a certain direction, kind of like this broken king character. That area you get in sometimes, where you stop trusting your heart and you start thinking too much about logic and this and that. So it's basically about that separation that can happen between the self and the heart and trying to trust your heart again."
Sara D. Anderson of AOL called the song "another breezy, rhythm guitar-driven hit" for Johnson, and noted that "the chorus is no different to other Johnson tracks, but the catchy guitar melody—prominent in the track's intro—is slightly more upbeat". In April 2010, the single entered the Billboard Rock Songs chart. A week later, the song debuted at number 20 on the Billboard Hot 100, his highest-peaking single to date. It has since re-entered at #99 and climb to #65, due to digital increase, after the album release. But like with most of his singles, it reached #1 on the Triple A chart. It also reached the top 40 of the Canadian Hot 100, and peaked at number 42 in Japan
The song was used as the theme for the 2010 Little League World Series on ESPN and ABC broadcasts. The music video for the song, available for viewing on YouTube, features Johnson surfing and swimming while singing to the song. This song is playing before to takeoff in Sunexpress flights in Turkey.
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||94|
|Canadian Hot 100||39|
|Japan Hot 100||42|
|German Singles Chart||64|
|Hungary (Rádiós Top 40)||30|
|US Billboard Hot 100||20|
|US Billboard Adult Pop Songs||26|
|US Billboard Rock Songs||13|
|US Billboard Alternative Songs||15|
|US Billboard Triple A||1|
|Japanese Top 100||79|
- "Jack Johnson's New Single to Hit Airwaves in April". Honolulu Star-Bulletin. 2010-03-18. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "Quick Hits: Jack Johnson, Flyleaf, Guns N' Roses, One eskimO". FMQB. 2010-03-15. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- Copsey, Robert (2010-03-30). "Jack Johnson Unveils New Album Details". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- You and Your Heart Song Facts (accessed May 29, 2014)
- Anderson, Sara D. (2010-03-31). "Jack Johnson - 'You and Your Heart' - New Song". AOL. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "Jack Johnson - 'You and Your Heart'". Billboard (Nielsen Business Media, Inc.). 2010-04-05. Retrieved 2010-05-28.
-  ARIA Report 1124. Retrieved 2012-03-5
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "レコード協会調べ 2009年12月16日～2010年12月14日「着うたフル(R)」 2010年有料音楽配信「年間チャート」（通称：レコ協チャート）" [Record Association Analysis: December 16, 2009—December 14, 2010 Full-length Cellphone Download 2010 paid digital sales "Yearly Chart" (Abbreviated: RIAJ Chart)] (PDF). RIAJ. December 20, 2010. Retrieved December 22, 2010.