Young and Jackson Hotel
|Young and Jackson|
|Address||Corner of Flinders and Swanston Streets, Melbourne|
|Opened||1 July 1861 (The Princes Bridge Hotel)
1875-Present (Young and Jackson Hotel)
|Number of rooms||5|
|Number of restaurants||2|
|Number of bars||4|
The site was purchased by John Batman in 1837 at Melbourne's first Crown land sale. On the site was built a home for his children, which became a schoolhouse in 1839. Warehouses were erected on the site after the schoolhouse was razed in 1853. The Princes Bridge Hotel opened there on 1 July 1861. The Hotel was renamed to Young and Jackson after the Irish diggers who took it over in 1875, cousins Henry Figsby Young (b. 1849 Dublin, Ireland - d. 29 September 1925) and Thomas Joshua Jackson(b. 1834 - d. 9 May 1901).
The hotel is an amalgamation of five separate buildings of two and three storeys, with the original 1853 bluestone building designed as a three-storey residence, with a butcher's shop on the ground floor. It was later extended in both directions, with all buildings rendered and painted to match each other by the 1920s. Since the 1920s the exterior hotel has been dominated by large advertising signs, even to this day.
The hotel is well known for the nude painting Chloé, painted by French artist Jules Joseph Lefebvre in 1875. The painting is oil on canvas measuring a life size 260 x 139 cm. It was purchased for 850 guineas by Dr Thomas Fitzgerald of Lonsdale Street in Melbourne. After being hung in the National Gallery of Victoria for three weeks in 1883, it was withdrawn from exhibition because of the uproar created especially by the Presbyterian Assembly. It was bought for the Young and Jackson Hotel in 1908 for 800 pounds, and was damaged in 1943 by an American serviceman who threw a glass of beer at it.
- "Young & Jacksons Princes Bridge Hotel (listing VICH708)". Australia Heritage Places Inventory. Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities. Retrieved 8 July 2008.
- "YOUNG AND JACKSON'S HOTEL LEASE SOLD". Chiltern And Howlong Times And Ovens Register (7684). Victoria, Australia. 10 April 1914. p. 3. Retrieved 15 February 2017 – via National Library of Australia., ...Mr Henry Young, the vendor, has conducted it since. 1875...
- Functions - Young and Jacksons, Melbourne, VIC 3000, ...Chloe's Lounge & Restaurant consists of 5 rooms available for private functions, including a private dining room, Chloe's Restaurant, two exclusive lounge areas or the entire first floor including a private audience of Chloe....
- Dining - Young and Jacksons, Melbourne, VIC 3000, ...Chloe's Restaurant (upstairs)/Y&J's Cafe (downstairs)...
- Bars - Young and Jacksons, Melbourne, VIC 3000, ...Main Bar/Long Bar/Chloe's Bar/Rooftop Cider Bar...
- "DEATH OF MR. H. F. YOUNG". The Argus (Melbourne) (24,694). Victoria, Australia. 30 September 1925. p. 20. Retrieved 15 February 2017 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Family Notices". The Age (21,994). Victoria, Australia. 30 September 1925. p. 1. Retrieved 15 February 2017 – via National Library of Australia., ...DEATHS...YOUNG.— On the 29th September, at his residence, "Normanhurst," Brighton-road, Elsternwick, Henry Figsby Young, aged 82 years....
- "Family Notices". The Australasian. XCIV, (2,462). Victoria, Australia. 7 June 1913. p. 60. Retrieved 15 February 2017 – via National Library of Australia., ...MARRIAGES...YOUNG-RAMSAY.-On the 21st May, at Holy Trinity Church, E. St. Kilda, by the Rev. F. G. Masters, M.A., Henry Figsby Young, of "Normanhurst," Elsternwick, to Jessie, widow of the late James Douglas Ramsay....
- "WILL OF MR. HENRY YOUNG". The Argus (Melbourne) (24,746). Victoria, Australia. 30 November 1925. p. 11. Retrieved 15 February 2017 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Family Notices". The Argus (Melbourne) (17,109). Victoria, Australia. 11 May 1901. p. 9. Retrieved 15 February 2017 – via National Library of Australia., ...FUNERAL NOTICES...JACKSON-The Friends of the late THOMAS JOSHUA JACKSON (late of Young and Jackson) are informed that his remain- will be interred in the Boroondara Cemetery, Kew. The funeral will leave his late residence,"Eblana," 42 Jolimont road, Jolimont, THIS DAY (Saturday, the 11th inst.), at. 2pm. A A SLEIGHT, Undertaker...
- "Family Notices". The Australasian. LXX, (1833). Victoria, Australia. 18 May 1901. p. 60. Retrieved 15 February 2017 – via National Library of Australia., ...DEATHS...JACKSON.—On the 9th May, at his residence, Eblana, Jolimont, Thomas Joshua Jackson (late of Young and Jackson's), dearly loved husband of Sarah Isabella Jackson, aged 67....
- Thomas Joshua Jackson (Of ‘Young and Jackson’s Hotel’), Provenance: The Journal of Public Record Office Victoria, issue no. 10, 2011. ISSN 1832-2522. Copyright © Andrew Kilsby., Public Record Office Victoria - Archives of the State Government of Victoria
- Herald Sun, 24 July 2004, Weekend, p.11, Historical article about 140 Jolimont Road, Jolimont and it first owner, Thomas Joshua Jackson, founder of Young & Jackson's. Information supplied by present owner, Peter Fielding. Photos., East Melbourne Historical Society
- "A LICENSEE IN TROUBLE". The Age (14859). Victoria, Australia. 22 October 1902. p. 7. Retrieved 15 February 2017 – via National Library of Australia.
- "THE SHOOTING AFFRAY AT THE PRINCES BRIDGE HOTEL". The Ballarat Star (14122). Victoria, Australia. 3 August 1901. p. 8. Retrieved 15 February 2017 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Family Notices". The Argus (Melbourne) (10,055). Victoria, Australia. 7 September 1878. p. 1. Retrieved 15 February 2017 – via National Library of Australia., ...MARRIAGES...JACKSON-CAVANAGH -On the 29th ult, at All Saints Church, St Kilda, by the Rev J H Gregory, Thomas Joshua Jackson, of Melbourne, to Sarah Isabella Cavanagh (nee Connell) of St Kilda...
- Colless, Edward (1997-03-22), "At the feet of Chloe: a study of eros. (Chloe, by Jules Joseph Lefebvre - painting, now hanging in a bar, Melbourne, Australia)", Art and Australia, Art and Australia Pty. Ltd, v34 (n4): p518(6), ISSN 0004-301X
- Schumer, Leslie A (1983-03), "Young and Jackson's: Melbourne's most famous hostelry", Journal (Royal Historical Society of Victoria), 54 (1): 41–45, ISSN 0813-1295 Check date values in:
- Schumer, Leslie A. (Leslie Arthur); Young & Jackson's (Hotel) (1981), Prince's Bridge Hotel : Young & Jackson's, L.A. Schumer, retrieved 15 February 2017
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Young and Jacksons.|