Young Man with a Horn (Miles Davis album)
|Young Man with a Horn|
|Studio album by Miles Davis|
|Recorded||May 9, 1952|
|Studio||WOR Studios, New York City|
|Label||Blue Note BLP 5013
Modern Jazz Series
10" vinyl, 33⅓ rpm, mono
|Miles Davis chronology|
Young Man with a Horn (BLP 5013) is the second studio album of Miles Davis, released as a 10-inch mono LP recorded and released by the Blue Note label in 1952. The album title is presumably a reference to the 1950 film Young Man with a Horn.
It was Davis' only official album recorded or released that year, at a time in his career while he was struggling with heroin addiction. This was the first of three 10"LPs recorded by Davis for Blue Note in the early 1950s. Davis says in autobiography that his contract for Prestige Records, for whom he had recorded his first LP the year before, was non-exclusive, but elsewhere he states the initial Prestige contract was for only one year.
All cuts were initially issued as singles except "How Deep Is the Ocean". The recordings were re-released on 12 inch LPs in 1956 after Davis won the Down Beat readers poll as best trumpeter. The original master takes were split and merged with Davis' two other sessions for Blue Note (Miles Davis Volume 1 and Volume 2).
Release in Europe
Young Man with a Horn was also released by Vogue in France and Spain. The LP was reissued in its original form as 10" LP in Japan in 1999 (Toshiba-EMI) and in 2009 by the American audiophile Classic Records.
|1.||"Dear Old Stockholm"||Traditional, Stan Getz, arr. by Davis||4:12|
|2.||"Woody 'n' You" (spelled "Would'n You" on the original artwork)||Dizzy Gillespie||3:22|
|3.||"Yesterdays"||Jerome Kern, Otto Harbach||3:42|
|4.||"Chance It" (a.k.a. "Max Is Making Wax")||Oscar Pettiford, credited to Davis||3:05|
|5.||"Donna" (a.k.a. "Dig")||Miles Davis||3:22|
|6.||"How Deep Is the Ocean?"||Irving Berlin||4:38|
- Miles Davis – trumpet
- Jay Jay Johnson – trombone (omitted on tracks A3 and B3)
- Jackie McLean – alto saxophone (omitted on tracks A3 and B3)
- Gil Coggins – piano (credited on album cover as '"Gil" Coggins')
- Oscar Pettiford – bass
- Kenny Clarke – drums
- Miles Davis session index by the Jazz Discography Project on Jazzdisco.org. Retrieved on April 6, 2014
- "Miles: the Autobiography", Miles Davis with Quincy Troupe, 1989, pg.140, pg.153
- Bob Blumenthal in the liner notes to the RVG Edition of Miles Davis, Volume 1, Blue Note 2001. He does not mention the exception of "How Deep Is the Ocean".
- Blue Note 78 rpm singles on 78discography.com. Retrieved on April 6, 2014
- Leonard Feather in the original liner notes to Miles Davis Volume 1
- Down Beat Readers Poll 1955 on Down Beat homepage. Retrieved on April 6, 2014
- Blue Note Records Discography: 1951-1952 by the Jazz Discography Project. Accessed May 2013.
- Young Man with a Horn at Discogs