The game was praised by N-Force Magazine who gave the game a review score of 92% and described it as the next Zelda. Electronic Gaming Monthly commented that the game "strikes a good middle ground between fast action and slow RPGs. The levels are huge, the control is good and the graphics are up to the Virgin par." They gave the game a 7.6 out of 10. GamePro similarly praised the controls and graphics but remarked that the gameplay lacks challenge and involves too much walking back and forth. They summarized the game as "a magical, whimsical ride that proves to be more funny than it is challenging" and "a fun and entertaining sidebar to more serious RPGs."
- http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=15613 Young Merlin on Allgame
- Rice, Chris ed. "Young Merlin." SNES N-Force Magazine. Issue 08. Pg.46. January 1994.
- Rice, Chris ed. "West Side Story." SNES N-Force Magazine. Issue 07. Pg.18. December 1994.
- "Young Merlin Review". Electronic Gaming Monthly (54). EGM Media, LLC. January 1994. p. 44.
- "ProReview: Young Merline". GamePro (56). IDG. March 1994. p. 139.
|This article about a game produced by an Electronic Arts-owned company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This adventure game–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|