Young Robin Hood
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Young Robin Hood|
|Written by||Cheryl Blakeney|
|Directed by||Bernard Freimovitz|
|Voices of||Thor Bishopric|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||26|
|Executive producer(s)||Micheline Charest|
|Producer(s)||Ronald A. Weinberg|
|Running time||26 minutes|
|Production company(s)||H-B Production Co.|
|Distributor||Turner Program Services|
|Original release||September 15, 1991 –|
November 30, 1992
Young Robin Hood is an American/Canadian/French animated series produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions and CINAR and France Animation and aired on syndication from 1991 to 1992. It ran for two seasons as part of the Sunday-morning programming block, The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera (1985–1994). The show takes place when Robin is a teenager, Richard the Lion Heart is on his "first crusade" and Robin Hood's father, the Earl of Huntington, joins him.
Robin Hood quickly finds himself at odds with the establishment; the Sheriff of Nottingham and Prince John, and creates a camp in Sherwood forest with other youngsters, the only girl, Marian, is a ward of the sheriff and spy for Robin. The main thing about Robin's youth in this case, is that his plans do not always work and he is occasionally questioned because of his youth, the fact that he is a known criminal and has no legal guardian to vouch for him.
- Robin Hood (Voiced by Thor Bishopric) - the boy in the county with a bow. He rarely is beaten by other archers. As a nobleman he understands Latin, has a tame Hawk called Arrow. Arrow is used to pass messages between him and Marian.
- Little John (Voiced by Terrence Scammell) - a blacksmith's son. Typically one of Robin's most loyal followers, but is not above criticizing Robin's plans.
- Alan-a-Dale (Voiced by Michael O'Reilly) - a very young, romantic minstrel.
- Will Scarlet (Voiced by Sonja Ball) - a young, talented thief, who idolizes Robin. He is a technical talent and creates traps and machines.
- Brother Tuck (Voiced by Harry Standjofski) - a very young monk, sometimes questioning his choice being an outlaw. He is very pious and speaks Latin every now and then.
- Marian (Voiced by Anik Matern) - Robin's sweetheart and a ward at Nottingham, sometimes suspected of conspiring with him.
- Haggala (Voiced by Bronwen Mantel) - a kind-hearted sorceress whose spells don't always work. Has a cat named Miranda.
- Prince John (Voiced by Michael Rudder) - spoiled boy who whines about who should be king. Sometimes tries to usurp Richard but the attempts are thwarted by Robin, or John's own ineptitude.
- Sheriff of Nottingham (Voiced by A.J. Henderson) - a harsh man and good swordsman.
- Gilbert of Gisbourn (Voiced by Mark Hellman) - lieutenant to the sheriff and has a crush on Marian. He often tries to win her over and Marian uses it to get information. Has a dog named Bruno.
The series was jointly produced for Hanna-Barbera by CINAR, France Animation and Antenne-2 in partnership with the Global Television Network, the Family Channel, Centre National De La Cinématographie and Sofica Cofimage 3. The animation is produced by France Animation and Crayon Animation, while the overseas production services were handled by the Philippines' Fil-Cartoons and South Korea's Sae Rom Productions and Big Star Enterprises.