Young Scots for Independence
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Young Scots for Independence|
|Deputy Leader||Jordan Linden|
|National Secretary||Ian Gallagher|
|Communications Director||Callum Reid|
|Headquarters||SNP Headquarters, Gordon Lamb House, 3 Jackson's Entry, Edinburgh, EH8 8PJ|
|Mother party||Scottish National Party|
|International affiliation||European Free Alliance Youth|
Young Scots for Independence (YSI) (Sometimes referred to as SNP Youth) is the youth wing of the Scottish National Party (SNP). It is not to be confused with SNP Students, which is for those in higher education, and whose membership is not restricted by age, unlike the YSI.
The YSI is autonomous from the SNP and as such is entitled to formulate its own policies and devise its own campaigns. The YSI is represented on the SNP National Executive Committee and sends delegates to meetings of the SNP Annual National Conference.
Its objectives are:
- Independence for Scotland;
- The furtherance of all Scottish interests;
- To increase support for the aims and policies of the SNP amongst the youth of Scotland;
- To provide a political and social forum for the youth of Scotland;
- To further the interests of the youth of Scotland;
- To campaign against the continued presence of nuclear weapons in Scotland and the wider world.
The YSI is a youth organisation set up to campaign for Scottish independence through the Scottish National Party (SNP). It is independent of, though affiliated to, the SNP. Formed in the 1970s as the Young Scottish Nationalists the organisation changed its name to YSI in 1996 when the YSN underwent a complete reorganisation.
Many YSI activists have since risen to prominence in the SNP, including Nicola Sturgeon the current First Minister of Scotland, former party leader John Swinney, the Cabinet Secretary for Finance and Sustainable Growth, Fiona Hyslop, the Cabinet Secretary for Education and Lifelong Learning and Derek Mackay and Minister for Local Government and Planning Marco Biagi. In 2012, Humza Yousaf who was still a member of the YSI, was promoted to Government as Minister for International Development.
When the SNP debated NATO membership in 2012, the YSI publicly came out in favour of maintaining the SNP's opposition to membership of NATO on the basis that it is a nuclear alliance. Their Convener, David Linden, was widely quoted in the press as saying: "We have come to a clear and united decision not to support the resolution in the name of Angus Robertson but, instead, to back an amendment which has gathered support from every strand of our party, including MSPs, councillors, affiliated organisations, elected members of the party and branches stretching from Govan to Shetland." "The party`s youth wing has a strong and proud history of consistently campaigning against nuclear weapons. The leadership has taken a clear decision to finally bring this policy before the conference in October. Sadly we cannot - and will not - support them on this particular issue."
Despite carrying 48% of the vote, the anti-NATO group lost and the SNP is now pro-NATO membership.
National Executive Committee of Office Bearers
- National Convenor: Gavin Lundy
- National Vice Convenor: Jordan Linden
- National Secretary: Ian Gallagher
- National Treasurer: Erin Jarvis
- National Communications Officer: Callum Reid
- Naational Campaigns Officer: Robyn Graham
- National Events and Fundraising Officer: Esmee Johnston
- National Political Education Officer: Morgan Ritchie
- National Equalities Officer: Charlotte Armitage
- National Womens' Officer Cailyn McMahon
- National International Officer Valentina Servera Clavell
The YSI operates regional associations according to the regions of the Scottish Parliament. These regions have their own elected Regional Executive Committees.
The regions are:
- Central Scotland
- Highlands and Islands
- Mid Scotland and Fife
- North East
The Current Elected Regional Conveners are
- Central Scotland Lisa Douglas
- Glasgow John Cumming
- Highlands and Islands Matt Friess and Keir Low
- Lothians Jack Capener
- Mid Scotland and Fife Stefan Hoggan
- North East Jack O'Neil
- West Sean Cosgrove
- Incumbent: Gavin Lundy
- 2015 – 2017: Rhiannon Spear
- 2014 – 2015: Angela Crawley (Acting Convener)
- 2011 – 2014: David Linden
- 2010 – 2011: Michael Dixon
- 2009 – 2010: David McDonald
- 2006 – 2009: Alison Thewliss
- 2004 – 2006: Aileen Campbell
- 2002 – 2004: Jamie Hepburn
- 2000 – 2002: Heather Williams
- 1998 – 2000: Derek Mackay
- 1997 – 1998: Stephen Moir
- 1995 – 1997: Phil Henderson
- 1994 – 1995: Ron MacWilliam
- 1992 – 1994: Nicola Sturgeon
- "SNP youth wing attacks Nato U-turn as 'wavering in opposition to nuclear'". STV News. 7 August 2012. Retrieved 9 May 2015.