Young Women's Preparatory Academy
|Young Women's Preparatory Academy|
1150 SW 1 STMiami, FL 33130
|Type||Public school, all-girls|
|Grades||6 to 12|
|Number of students||413 (2014-15)|
Azure blue and white
|Principal||Concepcion I. Martinez|
Young Women's Preparatory Academy (YWPA) is a grade 6-12 magnet school for girls, located in the Little Havana neighborhood of Miami, Florida. It is a part of Miami-Dade County Public Schools (MDCPS).
As of 2015[update] Concepción I. Martinez is the principal.
The Annual Women's Symposium, which is like a career day, is held every year.
Teachers and administrators at YWPA have attributed the school's success to its lack of boys; its mentorship program which has older students assist younger ones; its academic focus towards mathematics, science and technology; its small student body; and the teachers' concern for their students.
- "YOUNG WOMENS PREPARATORY ACADEMY". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 12, 2017.
- Pinzur, Matthew I. "Miami-Dade school board approves all-girls public school"[dead link] Miami Herald. October 20, 2005. Retrieved on December 31, 2015.
- Devaney, Kathleen. "Women leaders from the community empower students from all girls prep academy " (Archive). Miami Herald. March 18, 2015. Retrieved on Decembember 31, 2015.
- Isensee, Laura and Michael Vasquez. "Girls and boys: Separate but educated" (Archive). Miami Herald. October 17, 2012. Retrieved on December 31, 2015.
- "Young Women's Preparatory Academy". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 2013-04-08.
- Schuster, John (14 March 2013). "MIAMI-DADE COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS RECEIVES RECORD 35 NATIONAL MAGNET SCHOOLS OF MERIT AWARDS". Miami-Dade School Board. Retrieved 2013-04-09.