Your Love (The Outfield song)
|Single by The Outfield|
|from the album Play Deep|
|Released||14 February 1985|
|The Outfield singles chronology|
"Your Love" is written from the point of view of a man who tries to convince a younger female acquaintance to have an intimate night with him while his older girlfriend, Josie, is away on vacation.
Samples and interpolations
American remixer DJ X of the duo Plummet sampled the single in 2003 under the title "Use Your Love," which was done in a Breakbeat style.
R&B singer Lloyd interpolated the chorus in his song "Lose Your Love", from his 2008 album Lessons in Love. Rapper B.o.B included both a sample and an interpolation of the song in his 2008 song "Use Ur Love", produced by Jim Jonsin.
Rapper Charles Hamilton sampled the song on his song "Theories of Wine".
Saturday Night Live used the song as the basis for an 80s sketch on November 24, 2013, with Josh Hutcherson lip syncing the lyrics in bits. The song was featured in the opening of the movie Tammy (film) with the character Tammy Melissa McCarthy singing along with the song.
Brazilian rap song Rap das Armas by MC Júnior e Leonardo sampled "Your Love". The song started as a praise to Rio de Janeiro, but eventually became a protest on urban violence and is part of the beginning of Funk carioca and Proibidão movements. Later version of "Rap das Armas" by Cidinho & Doca was also based on the song, just like the original MC Júnior e Leonardo version, the lyrics were replaced by "pa ra pa pa...", an onomatopoeia of the sound of machine guns. Cidinho & Doca's re-edition of the song became worldwide known after being used on the soundtrack of Golden Bear winning movie Elite Squad, peaking #1 in the Netherlands and Sweden.
Soundtrack and sports appearances
The song is featured on the Grand Theft Auto: Vice City soundtrack. It is streamed on the videogame's radio Flash FM. "Your Love" was also heard in the 2009 film Adventureland. The 2014 film Tammy also features the song.
The song has notably been used as a walk-up song by several Major League Baseball players. White Sox infielder Gordon Beckham had the song played before his at-bats, inspiring sing-alongs from the crowd at U.S. Cellular Field, and has been used by several other Major League Baseball players, including Kelly Johnson in 2009. Eric Byrnes also used the song during this period. Later, outfielders Frank Catalanotto and Mark Kotsay used "Your Love" as their at-bat music at Miller Park during their 2009 and 2011 stints (respectively) with the Milwaukee Brewers, where fans would also sing along. In the 2012 season, Twins outfielder Josh Willingham and Nationals catcher Jesús Flores both used the song as their walk-up music, as did Charlie Blackmon of the Colorado Rockies, who used it throughout 2013 as well. Blackmon has continued to use this song throughout the 2014 and 2015 seasons. Willingham has kept the song during the 2013 MLB season.
Cover versions of "Your Love" have been recorded by the following artists:
- Ska/punk band Less than Jake, on their 2002 album Goodbye Blue & White
- Queercore group The Butchies, as a slow ballad on their 2004 album Make Yr Life.
- Wyclef Jean featuring Eve, as a reggae mix on the 2004 soundtrack to Adam Sandler's 50 First Dates.
- Eurodance group Dalimas on their 2005 album Dreams
- The Punk Goes... series includes two covers of the song: one by Midtown on Punk Goes 80's and another by I See Stars on Punk Goes Classic Rock.
- Emma Burgess on her 2006 album Swim; this version appeared on the ABC Family show Wildfire in February 2008.
- Katy Perry on the 2007 CD single for "Ur So Gay". The title was changed to "Use Your Love" and a few of the lyrics were altered.
- The Rescues on their album Crazy Ever After (2008).
- Melodic hardcore band A Wilhelm Scream, on the Australian release of their 2009 eponymous EP.
- In 2013, American DJ Morgan Page released an electro-inspired version of the song, featuring newly rerecorded vocals by The Outfield.
- Shane Harper on his album "Dancin in the Rain" 2013.
- German Eurodance group Topmodelz, released in 2007.
- Burn Your Wishes featuring Adam Dutkiewicz of Killswitch Engage and Ken Susi of Unearth.
- The Prize Fighter Inferno, a side project of Coheed & Cambria frontman Claudio Sanchez.
An acoustic version was recorded in 1992 and is featured on the 80's Hits Stripped compilation.
Bon Iver covered the song in 2009 at the Riverside Theater in Milwaukee. Indie rock band The Decemberists have been performing a cover of the song live since 2005. Canadian alternative country artist Kathleen Edwards has also covered this song in her live shows.
Bruno Mars also covered the song at a New Year's Eve party in 2011 and 2014 as well as on a radio show during an interview.
Sister Hazel is also known to cover "Your Love" at many live shows.
|US Billboard Hot 100||6|
|US Top Rock Tracks (Billboard)||7|
- "Match the hitter with at-bat music". ESPN.com. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- Jay Boller (18 April 2012). "Grading the 2012 Twins Walk-Up Music". The Sport Hole. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- YouTube: Bon Iver "Your Love" The Outfield cover (retrieved April 9, 2010)
- You Ain't No Picasso: Decemberists Covers Archive