Your Love (The Outfield song)
UK vinyl single
|Single by The Outfield|
|from the album Play Deep|
|Released||14 February 1986|
|The Outfield singles chronology|
Samples and interpolations
American remixer DJ X of the duo Plummet sampled the single in 2003 under the title "Use Your Love," which was done in a Breakbeat style.
R&B singer Lloyd interpolated the chorus in his song "Lose Your Love", from his 2008 album Lessons in Love. Rapper B.o.B included both a sample and an interpolation of the song in his 2008 song "Use Ur Love", produced by Jim Jonsin.
Rapper Charles Hamilton sampled the song on his song "Theories of Wine".
Saturday Night Live used the song as the basis for an 80s sketch on November 24, 2013, with Josh Hutcherson lip syncing the lyrics in bits. The song was featured in the opening of the movie Tammy (film) with the character Tammy ( played by actor Melissa McCarthy) singing along with the song.
Brazilian rap song Rap das Armas by MC Júnior e Leonardo sampled "Your Love". The song started as a praise to Rio de Janeiro, but eventually became a protest on urban violence and is part of the beginning of Funk carioca and Proibidão movements. Later version of "Rap das Armas" by Cidinho & Doca was also based on the song, just like the original MC Júnior e Leonardo version, the lyrics were replaced by "pa ra pa pa...", an onomatopoeia of the sound of machine guns. Cidinho & Doca's re-edition of the song became worldwide known after being used on the soundtrack of Golden Bear winning movie Elite Squad, peaking #1 in the Netherlands and Sweden.
Soundtrack and sports appearances
The song is featured on the Grand Theft Auto: Vice City soundtrack. It is streamed on the videogame's radio Flash FM. "Your Love" was also heard in the 2009 film Adventureland. The 2014 film Tammy also features the song. The song is also featured as an on disc song for Rock Band 4
The song has notably been used as a walk-up song by several Major League Baseball players. White Sox infielder Gordon Beckham had the song played before his at-bats, inspiring sing-alongs from the crowd at U.S. Cellular Field, and has been used by several other Major League Baseball players, including Kelly Johnson in 2009. Eric Byrnes also used the song during this period. Later, outfielders Frank Catalanotto and Mark Kotsay used "Your Love" as their at-bat music at Miller Park during their 2009 and 2011 stints (respectively) with the Milwaukee Brewers, where fans would also sing along. In the 2012 season, Twins outfielder Josh Willingham and Nationals catcher Jesús Flores both used the song as their walk-up music. Charlie Blackmon has used the song as his walk-up music from 2013-present.
|Germany (Official German Charts)||52|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||83|
|US Billboard Hot 100||6|
|US Album Rock Tracks (Billboard)||7|
|US Billboard Hot 100||62|
- "Match the hitter with at-bat music". ESPN.com. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- Jay Boller (18 April 2012). "Grading the 2012 Twins Walk-Up Music". The Sport Hole. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- Simmons, Bill (January 16, 2015). "The 15th Round". Grantland. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- "Musicline.de – The Outfield Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archive Chart: 1986-06-14" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- "The Outfield – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for The Outfield. Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- "The Outfield - Chart history". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- Billboard Top 100 - 1986. "Billboard Top 100 - 1986 - Longbored Surfer - Charts". Longbored Surfer. Retrieved 2012-01-06.