|Birth name||Trevor Powers|
March 18, 1989 |
San Diego, CA
|Genres||Dream pop, lo-fi, neo-psychedelia, psychedelic pop|
Youth Lagoon is the stage name of the Boise, Idaho-based American musician Trevor Powers (born in San Diego, California, raised in Boise). Powers has been active as Youth Lagoon since 2010. His music includes elements of Americana and experimental.
Youth Lagoon's debut album, The Year of Hibernation, was released on Fat Possum Records on September 27, 2011. Based on minimalism and hypnotic ambience melded with atmospheric and electronic elements, the debut explored themes such as psychological dysphoria and mental distress.
Powers' second album, Wondrous Bughouse, was released on March 5, 2013 by Fat Possum. It was spawned from what he described as "becoming more fascinated with the human psyche and where the spiritual meets the physical world." During the time he composed the album, Powers became intrigued with the metaphysical universe and blending those ideas with pop music.
Powers' tour in support of Wondrous Bughouse was cut short due to the death of a close friend.
On November 12, 2014, Powers announced, via Twitter, that writing for his third album had been finished. Recording started in January 2015. The July 10, 2015 release of "The Knower," a free single-sided 7" single, marked the announcement of his third album, Savage Hills Ballroom, released on September 25, 2015.
In July of 2015, Youth Lagoon announced a US tour in support of Savage Hills Ballroom.
- The Year of Hibernation (2011, Fat Possum Records)
- Wondrous Bughouse (2013, Fat Possum Records)
- Savage Hills Ballroom (2015, Fat Possum Records)
- Self Titled 7" single (2011, Fat Possum Records)
- "Mute" promo CD single (2013, Fat Possum Records)
- "The Knower" 7" single (2015, Fat Possum Records)
- Artists » Youth Lagoon | Fat Possum Records
- Montana // Youth Lagoon // Arcade44. Arcade44.tv (2011-09-22). Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- Youth Lagoon – “July” Video - Stereogum
- Pitchfork Music Festival: Chicago 2012
- Youth Lagoon – Discover music, videos, concerts, stats, & pictures at Last.fm
- Richardson, Mark. (2011-09-29) Youth Lagoon: The Year of Hibernation | Album Reviews. Pitchfork. Retrieved on 2011-11-30.
- Richard Gehr, "Youth Lagoon, ‘Wondrous Bughouse’ (Fat Possum)," Spin, March 6, 2013.
- Carrie Battan, "Youth Lagoon Announces New Album," Pitchfork, January 4, 2013.
- Marketti, Anna. "Interview: Trevor Powers of Youth Lagoon". Sound of Boston. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- Zoe Camp, "Youth Lagoon Announces New Album Savage Hills Ballroom," Pitchfork, July 10, 2015.
- Sasha Geffen, "Youth Lagoon – Savage Hills Ballroom," Consequence of Sound, September 21, 2015.
- Geslani, Michelle. "Youth Lagoon announces US tour". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 22 November 2015.