Youth Service America
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Logo of YSA
|Legal status||Non-profit organization|
|Young people ages 5-25|
President & CEO
Youth Service America, or YSA, is a resource center that partners with thousands of organizations committed to increasing the quality and quantity of volunteer opportunities for young people, ages 5-25, to serve locally, nationally, and globally." YSA has a reputation for supporting and promoting youth voice, youth service, and service-learning through advocacy, resource sharing, and handing out over $1 million in grants. Steve Culbertson was appointed the President & CEO in 1996.
Founded in 1986 with support from the Ford Foundation, YSA’s mission is to expand the impact of the youth service movement with families, communities, schools, corporations, and governments. Founded and led by Roger Landrum and Frank Slobig for its first 10 years, YSA organized the youth service movement that led to the National and Community Service Acts of 1990 and 1993. YSA pioneered National Youth Service Day, New Generation Training Program, Working Group on National Youth Service Policy, National Service Leadership Seminar, Prudential Youth Leadership Institute, Fund for Social Entrepreneurs, and National Service SuperConference.
- Technology: YSA.org to support the organization's outreach to partners; and GYSD.org to support Global Youth Service Day;
- Microfinance grants that use a teaching application process to encourage hundreds of high quality, measurable, service-learning projects by young people around the world;
- Government relations to encourage an ongoing Federal and State investment in national service programs such as AmeriCorps;
- Youth Voice initiative to help young people influence adults and contribute to policies and problems that affect them;
- Communications to spread the word to media about young people as assets and resources.
- One World Youth Project
- Youth service
- National service
- Community service
- National Service Learning Conference
- Youth activism
- Civic engagement
- Steve Culbertson
- List of awards for volunteerism and community service
- About Us YSA website