Part of a series on the
|History of Indonesia|
The Youth Pledge (Indonesian: Sumpah Pemuda) was a declaration made on 28 October 1928 by young Indonesian nationalists in the Second Youth Congress (Indonesian: Kongres Pemuda Kedua). They proclaimed three ideals; one motherland, one nation and one language.
In October 1928, the second Indonesian youth congress was held at three different locations. In the first session, the hope was expressed that the congress would inspire the feeling of unity. The second session saw discussions about educational issues. In the third and final session, held at Jalan Kramat Raya No, 106, on 28 October participants heard the future Indonesian national anthem Indonesia Raya by Wage Rudolf Supratman.
Kami poetra dan poetri Indonesia, mengakoe bertoempah darah jang satoe, tanah air Indonesia.
Kami poetra dan poetri Indonesia, mengakoe berbangsa jang satoe, bangsa Indonesia.
Kami poetra dan poetri Indonesia, mendjoendjoeng bahasa persatoean, bahasa Indonesia.
We the sons and daughters of Indonesia, acknowledge one motherland, Indonesia.
We the sons and daughters of Indonesia, acknowledge one nation, the nation of Indonesia.
We the sons and daughters of Indonesia, respect the language of unity, Indonesian.
First Congress of Indonesian Youth
- Chairman: Sugondo Djojopuspito (PPPI)
- Vice Chairman: R.M. Joko Marsaid (Jong Java)
- Secretary: Mohammad Yamin (Jong Soematranen Bond)
- Treasurer: Amir Sjarifudin (Jong Bataks Bond)
- Aide I: Johan Mohammad Cai (Jong Islamieten Bond)
- Aide II: R. Katjasoengkana (Pemoeda Indonesia)
- Aide III: R.C.I. Sendoek (Jong Celebes)
- Aide IV: Johannes Leimena (Jong Ambon)
- Aide V: Mohammad Rochjani Su'ud (Pemoeda Kaoem Betawi)
- Hudaya Latuconsina & Dedi Rafidi (1996) Pelajaran Sejarah untuk SMU Jilid 2 (History for Senior High School Vol. 2). Penerbit Erlangga, Jakarta, ISBN 979-411-251-8
- Kahin, George McTurnan (1952) Nationalism and Revolution in Indonesia Cornell University Press, ISBN 0-8014-9108-8
- Ricklefs (1982), A History of Modern Indonesia, Macmillan Southeast Asian reprint, ISBN 0-333-24380-3
- Youth Pledge Museum website (Indonesian)
|This Indonesia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|