This biography of a living person relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Jose Luis Corrales Jr.|
|Born||March 31, 1981|
|Origin||Long Beach, California, U.S.|
|Labels||Future Archive Recordings|
Happy End Music
|Associated acts||Anomie Belle |
Day of the Woman
Joe Corrales Jr. (born March 31, 1981), also known as Yppah (pronounced "Yippah") is an American electronic/rock musician. He is currently signed to Future Archive Recordings and resides in Long Beach, California, United States.
Corrales began playing guitar and bass in rock bands during high school, and later became more involved in electronic music and turntablism. He was involved in the early creation of mashups, and was part of a turntablist group called The Truth. Yppah is influenced by shoegaze, various electronic music, psychedelic soul, and rock music, evidenced by heavy use of reverb, effects, and electronics.
You Are Beautiful At All Times
His first album, titled You Are Beautiful at All Times, was released in 2006 on Ninja Tune records. The single "Again With The Subtitles" was released immediately prior to the album, and is featured in the film, 21. "It's Not The Same," a song from the album, was used in a trailer for Alone in the Dark, as well as the episode "Last Resort" from the series House. Similarly, the song "In Two, the Weakly" is featured in the CSI episode "Ending Happy".
They Know What Ghost Know
They Know What Ghost Know released on May 18, 2009 in the UK, Japan and Australia. The U.S. release date was June 23, 2009. Released to positive reviews, the album has a more pronounced shoegaze and psychedelic sound with "lush" instrumentation. The album crosses into numerous genres, with NME associating it with other DJ-based albums while other reviewers referring to it as "big beat".
Eighty One released on February 4, 2012 in Japan and April 2, 2012 worldwide to critical acclaim. Eighty One is Yppah's most widely received album to date, with the singles "Film Burn" (feat. Anomie Belle) and "D Song" (feat. Anomie Belle) charting on radio stations across North America and Japan. Eighty One features several guest appearances by Seattle artist Anomie Belle who Corrales met when the two artists performed together on tour with Bonobo. Anomie Belle has also appeared with Yppah during live performances, performing on guitar, keys, violin, drum machine and vocals in support of the album.
On October 22, 2012, Corrales announced that the fourth album was almost complete, numbering 11 tracks so far. The final album was cut down to nine tracks and was officially released October 16, 2015.
Sunset in the Deep End
The fifth album from Yppah was released on February 7, 2020 on Future Archive Recordings.
- You Are Beautiful at All Times (CD) Ninja Tune, 2006
- They Know What Ghost Know (CD, MP3 bundle) Ninja Tune, 2009
- Eighty One (CD) Ninja Tune, 2012
- Tiny Pause (CD) Counter Records, 2015
- Sunset in the Deep End (CD) Future Archive Recordings, 2020
- "Again with the Subtitles" (CD) Ninja Tune, 2006
- "D. Song" (feat. Anomie Belle) (CD) Ninja Tune, 2012
- "Film Burn" (feat. Anomie Belle) (CD) Ninja Tune, 2012
- "Bushmills" (digital) self-released, 2014
- "Harvest Dance" - DJ Kentaro feat. Hifana (Beat Records), 2007
- "Coisa Do Gringo" (Heavyweight Gringos) - ZerodB (Ninja Tune), 2008
- The Use of Of (CD album) - Babel Fishh, 2005
- "A Photo of a Photograph" - Babel Fishh (Best Friends, CD compilation) Happy End Music, 2006
- "Coisa Do Gringo" - ZerodB (Heavyweight Gringos, CD album) Ninja Tune, 2008
- Heavyweight Gringos (CD, Album) Coisa Do Gringo (Yppah... Ninja Tune 2008
- Best Friends (CDr, Comp, Ltd) Again With The Subtitles Happy End Music 2006
- Ninja Tune - You Don't Know Us - A New Selection From Ninja Tune (CD, Promo) Again With The Subtitles Ninja Tune 2006
- Zentertainment 2006 (CD) Again With The Subtitles Ninja Tune 2006
- You Don't Know Ninja Cuts DJ Food's 1000 Mask Mix (CD, Mixed) Again With The Subtitles Ninja Tune 2008
- You Don't Know Ninja Cuts DJ Food's 1000 Mask Mix (File, MP3) Again With The Subtitles Ninja Tune 2008
- You Don't Know: Ninja Cuts (3xCD, Promo, Album, Comp) Again With The Subtitles Ninja Tune 2008
- You Don't Know: Ninja Cuts (3xCD, Album) Again With The Subtitles Ninja Tune 2008
- "Yppah". Yppah.bandcamp.com. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- "Ninja Tune". Ninjatune.net. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- "Myspace". Blogs.myspace.com. Archived from the original on 2009-02-07. Retrieved 2013-06-20.
- Martin, Andrew. "Yppah: They Know What Ghost Know". PopMatters.com. Retrieved 2013-06-20.
- "NME Album Reviews - Album review: Yppah - 'They Know What Ghost Know'". Nme.Com. 2009-05-19. Retrieved 2013-06-20.
- "Yppah – They Know What Ghost Know (Ninja Tune/Inertia)". Cyclicdefrost.com. 2009-05-08. Retrieved 2013-06-20.
- Jason Kinnard. "Song of the Day: Yppah – Film Burn (feat. Anomie Belle)". Blog.kexp.org. Retrieved April 17, 2012.
- Shoemaker, Bryce (May 27, 2013). "Sasquatch Recap: Yppah feat Anomie Belle". Nadamucho.com. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- "Yppah". Facebook.com. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- "Tiny Pause, by Yppah". Yppah.bandcamp.com. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- ""Bushmills" single: Free DL". Indieshuffle.com. April 2, 2014. Retrieved 2 April 2020.