Ypsilanti Charter Township, Michigan
Ypsilanti Charter Township, Michigan
|Charter Township of Ypsilanti|
Ypsilanti Township Civic Center
Location within Washtenaw County
|• Total||31.7 sq mi (82.2 km2)|
|• Land||29.9 sq mi (77.5 km2)|
|• Water||1.8 sq mi (4.6 km2) 5.65%|
|Elevation||725 ft (221 m)|
|• Density||1,700/sq mi (650/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1627301|
Ypsilanti Township, officially the Charter Township of Ypsilanti, is a charter township in Washtenaw County in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2010 census, the township population was 53,362. The city of Ypsilanti is mostly surrounded by the township, but the two are administered autonomously.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 31.7 square miles (82.2 km2), of which 29.9 square miles (77.5 km2) is land and 1.8 square miles (4.6 km2) (5.65%) is water. The township is home to several kit homes constructed early in the 20th century.
As of 2010 Ypsilanti Township had a population of 53,362. The racial and ethnic makeup of the population was 58.4% white, 32.8% black or African American, 0.4% Native American, 2.1% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 1.6% from some other race and 4.6% from two or more races. 4.6% were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
As of the census of 2000, there were 49,182 people, 20,194 households, and 12,338 families residing in the township. The population density was 1,631.4 per square mile (629.8/km²). There were 21,196 housing units at an average density of 703.1 per square mile (271.4/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 67.51% White, 25.47% African American, 0.49% Native American, 2.01% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 1.20% from other races, and 3.30% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.80% of the population.
There were 20,194 households out of which 31.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.5% were married couples living together, 14.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.9% were non-families. 29.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the township the population was spread out with 26.3% under the age of 18, 11.1% from 18 to 24, 35.3% from 25 to 44, 20.2% from 45 to 64, and 7.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females, there were 96.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.1 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $46,460, and the median income for a family was $55,131. Males had a median income of $41,298 versus $29,732 for females. The per capita income for the township was $22,970. About 8.0% of families and 10.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.8% of those under age 18 and 6.4% of those age 65 or over.
Ypsilanti Charter Township is divided between three public school districts. The Belleville-based Van Buren Public Schools district, part of the Wayne County Regional Service Agency, includes a small section of the eastern township, north and south of I-94 from the point where it separates from US 12.
The Lincoln Consolidated Schools district includes most of the southern township, south of Ford Lake (but including part of Cliffs Drive on the north shore) west to the point where South Huron Street becomes Whitaker Road; thence east of Stony Creek and Hitchingham to Merritt Road, then south of Merritt west to the boundary with Pittsfield Charter Township.
The rest of Ypsilanti Charter Township lies within the Ypsilanti Community Schools district - north of Merritt Road from the boundary with Pittsfield east to Hitchingham, Stony Creek and Whitaker Road; then west and north of Ford Lake, from the point where Whitaker Road becomes South Huron Street, eastward to the Wayne County Line along US 12 and Ecorse Service Drive.
Charter Township of Ypsilanti Governmental Officials:
- Supervisor - Brenda Stumbo
- Clerk - Karen Lovejoy Roe
- Treasurer - Larry Doe
- Trustee - Stan Eldridge
- Trustee - Heather Jarrell Roe
- Trustee - Monica Ross-Williams
- Trustee - Jimmie Wilson, Jr.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (January 2016)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 31 Jan 2008.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Ypsilanti Charter Township, Michigan
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Ypsilanti charter township, Washtenaw County, Michigan". United States Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 9 Jul 2012.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Ypsilanti charter township, Washtenaw County, Michigan". United States Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 9 Jul 2012.
- 2010 general profile of population and housing characteristics for Ypsilanti Township from the US Census
- Township Map (Map). Ypsilanti Township. Archived from the original (JPG) on November 9, 2005. Retrieved 22 Jun 2009. (Archive on webcitation)
- "Welcome to Kalitta Air". kalittaair.com. Kalitta Air. Retrieved 22 Jun 2009.
- "Welcome to National Airlines". murrayair.com. National Airlines (5M). Archived from the original on December 17, 2009. Retrieved 28 Oct 2009.
- "GEE Academies." Global Educational Excellence. Retrieved on September 1, 2015. "1715 E. Forest Ave. Ypsilanti MI 48198"
- Stumbo, Brenda. "Supervisor - Charter Township of Ypsilanti". Charter Township of Ypsilanti. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- Lovejoy Roe, Karen. "Clerk - Charter Township of Ypsilanti". Charter Township of Ypsilanti. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- Doe, Larry. "Treasurer - Charter Township of Ypsilanti". Charter Township of Ypsilanti. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- Eldridge, Stan. "Trustee - Charter Township of Ypsilanti". Charter Township of Ypsilanti. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- Jarrell Roe, Heather. "Trustee - Charter Township of Ypslanti". Charter Township of Ypsilanti. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- Ross-Williams, Monica. "Trustee - Charter Township of Ypsilanti". Charter Township of Ypsilanti. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- Wilson, Jr., Jimmie. "Trustee - Charter Township of Ypsilanti". Charter Township of Ypsilanti. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- Dodd, Johnny. "Murderer Depicted in Movie True Story Tells PEOPLE: 'I Don't Feel I Can Be Redeemed'." People. April 17, 2015. Retrieved on January 26, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ypsilanti Township, Michigan.|