Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys|
|Genre(s)||Action role-playing game|
Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (イースIV -The Dawn of Ys- Īsu Fō) is an action role-playing game developed for the PC Engine Super CD-ROM², and is the fourth game in the Ys video game series. Ys series creators Nihon Falcom Corporation licensed its development to Hudson Soft.
The Dawn of Ys was released in 1993 and was one of two games released under the title of "Ys IV", the other being Tonkin House's Ys IV: Mask of the Sun for the Super Famicom. The two games share the same setting, but Hudson took more liberties with its presentation in The Dawn of Ys, and two unique games resulted.
As the game begins, Adol has returned to the town of Minea, where Ys I began. After hanging around for a while and conversing with old friends, he decides to set sail for the overseas land of Celceta.
Ys IV returns to the style of play used in Ys I and II. The gameplay area is viewed from a top-down perspective, and the player attacks enemies by running into them to cause damage. Adol gains experience from defeating enemies, and gaining experience serves to raise his strength, as in the previous games. The Magic system introduced in Ys II is also brought back for this game.
The original music was composed by Falcom Sound Team J.D.K. members Atsushi Shirakawa, Naoki Kaneda, Takahiro Tsunashima, and Masaru Nakajima.
As was the case with Hudson's CD-ROM² versions of Ys I & II and Ys III: Wanderers from Ys, The Dawn of Ys CD-DA tracks were arranged by Ryo Yonemitsu. Yonemitsu did not arrange the entire soundtrack for the game itself, as many tracks were programmed for the console's internal sound chip by Osamu Narita, but he did cover every track for the Perfect Collection Ys IV CD series. (see below)
Soundtrack releases for Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys are as follows:
- Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys J.D.K. Special (1993): Contains the original FM sound source of the music made by Falcom Sound Team J.D.K.. This album predates both The Dawn of Ys and Ys IV: Mask of the Sun, and the sound quality is akin to Falcom PC-98 games.
- Falcom Special Box '95 (Disc 3 - Ys IV J.D.K. Special Part II) (1993): A collection of tracks left off the first J.D.K. Special, along with a number of "lost tracks" never used in-game.
- Perfect Collection Ys IV -The Dawn of Ys- Vol. 1 (1994): Contains Ryo Yonemitsu's arrangements of the first third of Ys IV's soundtrack.
- Perfect Collection Ys IV -The Dawn of Ys- Vol. 2 (1994): Contains Ryo Yonemitsu's arrangements of the middle third of Ys IV's soundtrack.
- Perfect Collection Ys IV -The Dawn of Ys- Vol. 3 (1994): Contains Ryo Yonemitsu's arrangements of the last third of Ys IV's soundtrack.