Ysgol Gyfun Gymunedol Penweddig
|Ysgol Gyfun Gymunedol Penweddig|
Aberystwyth, SY23 3QN
|Age||11 to 16/18|
|Medium of language||Welsh|
Ysgol Gyfun Gymunedol Penweddig is a Welsh-language secondary school in Aberystwyth, Wales. The school was established in 1973 and now educates girls and boys between the ages of 11 and 18 through the medium of Welsh. The school was the first Welsh language secondary school in Ceredigion and is named after the cantref of Penweddig, the northern part of the Kingdom of Ceredigion, between the rivers Dyfi and Ystwyth.
The school's building is owned by a private company who lease it to the school.
When the school was started in the mid-70s the school was housed in Ffordd Dewi, Aberystwyth. In October 2001, following a lengthy consultation with parents, staff and pupils, the school moved to its current home in Llanbadarn Road.
Penweddig school has four core values that all staff and pupils are expected to hold.
- To respect one's self and others.
- To respect belongings and the environment of the school.
- To respect the school and school faculty.
- To use the Welsh language as much as possible.
The school council is formed before the autumn half term holidays, and meets regularly to discuss improvements to the school, be it physically or structurally. It comprises two representatives from every school year (one male, one female, one blank) elected by the whole of the respective year, and two permanent members representing the local youth service (also pupils). The council is mentored by the deputy headteacher.
Notable former pupils
notable former pupils include:
- Aled Haydn Jones of Chris Moyles' Radio 1 show
- Gwyneth Keyworth, actress.
- Race Horses (band)
- "Papurau Cymdeithas Cyfeillion Ysgol Gyfun Penweddig". National Library of Wales.
- "Ysgol Gyfun Penweddig". My Local School. Welsh Government. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- "Estyn Report on Ysgol Gyfun Penweddig" (PDF). Estyn. Estyn. 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- "Aled Haydn Jones' Biography". BBC Wales.