Ysgol Penglais School
|Ysgol Penglais School|
|Motto||Dewrder. Cryfder. Calon.|
(Courage. Strength. Heart.)
|Number of students||est. 1,100|
|Sixth form students||300+|
|Medium of language||English|
|Colour(s)||Grey, Blue, White|
Ysgol Penglais School (Welsh: Ysgol Penglais) is an 11–18 comprehensive school situated in the town of Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, West Wales. It offers education to over 1,300 pupils aged 11 to 18. The school was established in 1973 and teaches mainly through the medium of English.
Around 14% of pupils speak Welsh as the predominant language at home, and 21% speak Welsh fluently.
The Estyn monitoring report dated December 2017 noted the following: "Ysgol Penglais is judged to have made insufficient progress in relation to the recommendations following the core inspection in January 2014." "Since the core inspection, performance at key stage 4 has fluctuated in most indicators and improvements have not been sustained. In 2017, outcomes declined overall, are below that at the time of the core inspection in most indicators and do not compare well with similar schools."
Penglais School has supported many charities in the past, long standing support has been made for the Sudan appeal. In April 2007, a huge event took place involving the entirety of the student body collecting on the main playing field to form the shape of the world. This event raised money for the Send my friend to school charity and aimed to increase awareness for the Global Campaign for Education. The event was photographed by the RCAHMW.
Notable former pupils
- "Ysgol Penglais School - Home Page". Penglais School, Waunfawr, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion. www.penglaisschool.org.uk. 2005–2006. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Inspection Report Penglais School" (PDF). Estyn. Estyn. 1 April 2014. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Follow-up Report" (PDF). Estyn, Her Majesty’s Inspectorate for Education and Training in Wales. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- "1,400 Pupils Form World Map Demo". BBC News. 19 April 2007.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on June 6, 2011. Retrieved May 18, 2009.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Aber actor Taron Egerton shortlisted for 'rising star' Bafta award". Cambrian News. 6 January 2016. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- Owen, Rhodri (15 May 2013). "Malcolm Pryce: Aberystwyth noir creator pens BBC Radio 4 play". BBC News. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "Pedwar o glybiau Cymru'n chwarae heno" (in Welsh). Golwg 360. 23 August 2011. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
|This Welsh school or sixth form college related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|