undergoes β− decay to zirconium-90 with a half-life of 64.1 hours and a decay energy of 2.28 MeV. It also produces 0.01% 1.7 MeV photons along the way. Interaction of the emitted electrons with matter can lead to Bremsstrahlung radiation.
Yttrium-90 is a decay product of strontium-90 which makes up about 5% of the nuclear daughter isotopes when uranium is fissioned.[not in citation given] Yttrium-90 is produced by chemical high-purity separation from strontium-90, a fission product of uranium in nuclear reactors.
90Y plays a significant role in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) and other liver cancers. Trans-arterial radioembolization is a procedure performed by interventional radiologists in which microspheres are impregnated with 90Y and injected into the arteries supplying the tumor. Radioembolization with 90Y significantly increases time-to-progression (TTP) of HCC, has a tolerable adverse event profile, and improves patient quality of life more than do similar therapies.
- Vincent T. DeVita; Theodore S. Lawrence; Steven A. Rosenberg; Robert A. Weinberg; Ronald A. DePinho (1 April 2008). DeVita, Hellman, and Rosenberg's cancer: principles & practice of oncology. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. pp. 2507–. ISBN 978-0-7817-7207-5. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- Arkadiy Kheyfits (October 2010). "Yttrium-90 Radioembolization". Radiology Today. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- "Y-90 Handling Precautions" (PDF). Retrieved 2015-07-15.
- "Table of Isotopes decay data". The Lund/LBNL Nuclear Data Search. February 1999. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- Rault, E.; Vandenberghe, S.; Staelens, S.; Lemahieu, I. (2009). Optimization of Yttrium-90 Bremsstrahlung Imaging with Monte Carlo Simulations. 4th European Conference of the International Federation for Medical and Biological Engineering. 22. pp. 500–504. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Strontium | Radiation Protection | US EPA". EPA. 24 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- "PNNL: Isotope Sciences Program - Yttrium-90 Production". PNNL. February 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-23.
- Kallini JR, Gabr A, Salem R, Lewandowski RJ. (02 April 2016.). "Trans-arterial Radioembolization with Yttrium-90 for the Treatment of Hepatocellular Carcinoma". Adv Ther. Check date values in:
- Salem R, Gordon AC, Mouli S, Hickey R, Kallini J; et al. (2016 Aug 26). "Y90 Radioembolization Significantly Prolongs Time to Progression Compared With Chemoembolization in Patients With Hepatocellular Carcinoma". Gastroenterology. 151: 1155–1163.e2. doi:10.1053/j.gastro.2016.08.029. PMC . PMID 27575820. Check date values in:
- Salem, R. Gilbertsen, M. Butt, Z. Memon, K. Vouche, M. Hickey, R. Baker, T. Abecassis, M. M. Atassi, R. Riaz, A. Cella, D. Burns, J. L. Ganger, D. Benson, A. B., 3rd Mulcahy, M. F. Kulik, L. Lewandowski, R. (2013). "Increased quality of life among hepatocellular carcinoma patients treated with radioembolization, compared with chemoembolization". Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 11 (10): 1358–1365.e1. doi:10.1016/j.cgh.2013.04.028.