Yu Min (physicist)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Died||16 January 2019 (aged 92)|
|Awards||Highest Science and Technology Award (2014)|
|Institutions||Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS)|
Yu Min (Chinese: 于敏; pinyin: Yú Mǐn; 16 August 1926 – 16 January 2019) was a prominent Chinese nuclear physicist, an academician of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), and a recipient of Two Bombs, One Satellite Achievement Medal.
He was born in Tianjin in August 1926. He was famous for his excellent performances in Yaohua High School. Later he was admitted by Department of Electronics of Peking University, however, out of the passion for the physical theories, he turned into Department of Physics and made up his mind in working on the theory side.
From 1949, Yu started his postgraduate research in the Department of Physics of Peking University, and also served as a teaching assistant. In 1951, he became an assistant researcher and associate researcher at Modern Physics Institute of CAS, and began to study nuclear physics theory under the supervision of Peng Huanwu.
From the end of 1960, Yu was involved in the theoretical research of nuclear weapons. His major contributions included the solutions to a series of fundamental and critical theoretical problems of nuclear weapons, which led to breakthrough of hydrogen bomb. He won the reputation and became the academician of Chinese Academy of Science for his design of H-bomb.
Until 1988, Yu's name remained the top secret of P.R. China. He was awarded the national top science award in January 2015. With the 5 million CNY prize, Yu founded the Yu Min Foundation to support scientific development in China.
Yu died in Beijing on 16 January 2019.
Yu married Sun Yuqin (Chinese: 孙玉芹), the couple had a son, Yu Xin (Chinese: 于辛), and a daughter, Yu Yuan (Chinese: 于元).
- 两弹一星元勋:于敏 [Bombs and one satellite fathers: Yu Min] (in Chinese). Archived from the original on 2011-10-05. Retrieved 2011-06-11.
- "Chinese nuclear physicist Yu Min receives nation's top science award". Shanghai Daily. Xinhua News Agency. 2015-01-09. Retrieved 2018-02-26.
- "Inside story about China's first H-bomb development". People's Daily. 2007-06-30. Retrieved 2018-02-26.
- Li Jing (2015-01-10). "Yu Min, 'father of China's H-bomb', wins top science award". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 2018-02-26.
- "China's "Father of Hydrogen Bomb" dies at 93". Xinhua News Agency. 16 January 2019. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- 于敏：愿将一生献宏谋. qq.com (in Chinese). 2019-01-16.