|Cucumis melo 'Yubari King'|
Section of a fresh Yūbari King melon
|Hybrid parentage||Cucumis melo
Earl's Favourite × Burpee's "Spicy" Cantaloupe
|Origin||Yūbari, Hokkaidō, Japan|
The Yubari King is a hybrid of two other cantaloupe cultivars: Earl's Favourite and Burpee's "Spicy" Cantaloupe. This hybrid's scientific name is Cucumis melo L. var. reticulatus Naud. cv. Yubari King.
Some Japanese people present Yubari King melons as gifts during Chūgen. A top-grade melon is to be perfectly round and have an exceptionally smooth rind. A portion of the stem, which is snipped with scissors, is left on top for aesthetic appeal.
- "Japan's Cadillac of melons Yubari melons fetches record 2 million yen". Fareastgizmos.com. Retrieved 2010-11-04.
- Hosaka, Tomoko A. (15 May 2009). "Slump hits Japan's most expensive melons". The Independent (Independent Print Ltd.). Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- Made in Japan: 100 Best Products - Yubari Melon
- Yubari: Japan's Melon Kingdom
- Nakata, Eijiro; Staub, Jack E.; López-Sesé, Ana I.; Katzir, Nurit. "Genetic Diversity of Japanese Melon Cultivars (Cucumis melo L.) as Assessed by Random Amplified Polymorphic DNA and Simple Sequence Repeat Markers". Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution (Springer Science+Business Media) 52 (4): 405–19. doi:10.1007/s10722-005-2258-9. Retrieved 13 July 2011.