February 8, 1977 |
|Notable work||The Poetic Clock; Datagram Series; Atari Poetry Series; Perfect Language Series|
|Movement||Digital Art and New Media Art|
Life and work
Yucef Merhi was born in Caracas, Venezuela. He studied at Universidad Central de Venezuela, New School University, and holds a Master's in Interactive Telecommunications from New York University. His artistic practice began in the mid 80s. He is known as the first artist in exhibiting a work of art that included a video game console, the Atari 2600, back in 1985. As the pioneer of Digital Art in Venezuela, Merhi has produced a wide body of works that engage electronic circuits, computers, video game systems, touch screens, and other devices in the presentation of his written words, like the Poetic Clock, a machine that converts time into poetry which generates 86.400 different poems daily. The resulting artworks expand the limitations of language and the traditional context of poetry, proposing a bold new role for the poet in our culture.
Merhi's career encompasses a world wide exhibition record in places such as the New Museum of Contemporary Art; Bronx Museum of the Arts; El Museo del Barrio;Eyebeam Art and Technology Center and Exit Art, all located in New York; as well as the Newark Museum (New Jersey); Orange County Museum of Art (California); Los Angeles County Museum of Art (California); De Appel (Amsterdam); Museo Michetti (Rome); Borusan Culture & Art Center (Istanbul); Paço das Artes (São Paulo); Museo del Chopo (Mexico DF); Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Yucatán (Yucatán); Museo de Bellas Artes (Caracas); Museo de Arte Contemporáneo (Caracas); Science World British Columbia (Vancouver); among many others. He also participated in the official selections of the 7th International Festival of New Film, Split, Croatia; the 2007 Bienal de São Paulo – Valencia;, the 10th Istanbul Biennial., and the 30th Ljubljana Biennial of Graphic Arts.
His work is documented in more than 40 catalogs, encyclopedias, dictionaries, movies, text books, PhD thesis and academic volumes. He is currently represented in the collections of the Orange County Museum of Art (California); National Art Gallery (Caracas); Library of Congress (Washington); Whitebox Art Center (New York); Mednarodni Grafični Likovni Center (MGLC) (Ljubljana); Museo Alejandro Otero (Caracas); Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Caracas (Caracas); Museo de Arte Valencia (Valencia); and private collections in New York, Miami, Caracas, Madrid and Tel Aviv.
Merhi has received several grants and awards including the New York Foundation for the Arts in Digital/Electronic Arts, as well as numerous commissions and residencies from institutions such as the Orange County Museum of Art, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Bronx Museum of the Arts, and Eyebeam Art and Technology Center, among others.
- Carlo Zanni, INTERVIEW WITH YUCEF MERHI, Centre international d'art contemporain de Montréal's online magazine, No.18, 2004.
- Silvera, Yohana. Yucef Merhi transforma la poesía en objetos.,Tal Cual, October 6, 2010.
- YucefMerhi Nyu.academia.edu (Jan 15, 2014). Retrieved on January 15, 2014.
- Orange County Museum of Art; Profile. Ocma.net. Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- Monfront Nick; Bogost, Ian Racing the Beam: The Atari Video Computer System Boston: The MIT Press.
- Monfront Nick; Bogost, Ian Racing the Beam: The Atari Video Computer System; Index Boston: The MIT Press.
- Boston Cyberarts 2009 Festival. Bostoncyberarts.org (April 24, 2009). Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- E-Flux.com. E-Flux.com (August 28, 2005). Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- New Museum of Contemporary Art. Newmuseum.org. Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- Holland Cotter, Latino Art, and Beyond Category, The New York Times, Sept 2, 2005.
- El Museo del Barrio. Elmuseo.org. Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- Anette Gallo, EYEBEAM ANNUAL ONLINE FORUM The (Re) Structured Screen, Rhizome Digest, October 31, 2002.
- Exit Art. Exit Art. Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- Newark Museum NewarkMuseum.org. Retrieved on July 10, 2014.
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art LACMA.org. Retrieved on June 16, 2012.
- De Appel. Deappel.nl. Retrieved on April 20, 2012.
- LVI Premio Michetti – In & Out,ExibArt News, July 23, 2005.
- Bütün Haberler,İnsanın tarih boyunca teknoloji ile ilişkisi nasıldı?,Zaman Türk Gazetesi, October 20, 2002.
- FILE 2002. File.org.br. Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- Museo Universitario del Chopo. Chopo.unam.mx. Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Yucatán. Macay.org. Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- Felix Suazo, Videohabitats, ArtNexus, February, 2001
- Museo de Arte Contemporáneo: Videoarte Venezolano, Museos Nuestros,October, 2006.
- Pamela Findling, Science World presents ACM Multimedia 2008, Science World British Columbia, October 27, 2008
- Split Film Festival. Splitfilmfestival.hr (September 11, 2001). Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- Bienal São Paulo – Valencia. Encuentroentredosmares.com. Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- 10th Istanbul Biennial Archived July 13, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- THE 30TH BIENNIAL OF GRAPHIC ARTS: INTERRUPTION. Retrieved on October 7, 2013.
- José Manuel Briceño Guerrero, Yucef Merhi, Press Dossier: 1985–2010, NY Art Press, April, 2011.
- María Gabriela Méndez, La película "Elipsis" es un museo para la obra de Yucef Merhi, El Universal, October 7, 2006
- New York Foundation for the Arts. Nyfa.org. Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- Yucef Merhi official CV. Cibernetic.com. Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- Ministerio del Poder Popular para la Cultura. Retrieved on December 10, 2012.
- Library of Congress. Loc.gov. Retrieved on June 16, 2012.
- Paddle8. Paddle8.com. Retrieved on July 10, 2014.
- Mednarodni Grafični Likovni Center. Museums.si. Retrieved on July 10, 2014.
- Orange County Museum of Art. (PDF) . Retrieved on November 20, 2011.
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art Retrieved on June 16, 2012.
- Official website
- Press Dossier (1985–2010)
- Yucef Merhi's YouTube page
- Academic papers by Yucef Merhi
- "Yucef Merhi - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.com. Retrieved 2017-03-13.