Yuen Long station
|MTR rapid transit station|
|Literal meaning||Leading light(ly)|
|Location||Long Yat Road × Long Ming Street, Yuen Long|
Yuen Long District, Hong Kong
|Owned by||KCR Corporation|
|Operated by||MTR Corporation|
|Platforms||2 (1 island platform)|
Yuen Long (Chinese: 元朗) is an MTR station in the north-eastern part of Yuen Long Town, New Territories, Hong Kong, on the Tuen Ma line between Kam Sheung Road and Long Ping. It is an interchange between the Tuen Ma line and Yuen Long stop of the Light Rail system.
Yuen Long and Long Ping station were built under a combined contract, numbered CC-202, which was awarded to the AMEC-Hong Kong Construction Joint Venture. The contract, worth HK$1.76 billion, commenced in September 1999. Piling was completed at Yuen Long station in November 2001, while the superstructure and civil works were completed by March 2002. A topping-out ceremony for both Yuen Long and Long Ping stations was held on 24 May 2002.
The station opened on 20 December 2003 with the inauguration of the West Rail.
On the night of 21 July 2019, an armed mob of alleged triad members dressed in white indiscriminately attacked civilians on streets with steel rods and rattan canes and attacked passengers in the station including the elderly, children, black-clad protesters, journalists and lawmakers. At least 45 people were injured in the incident, including a pregnant woman. The incident and the alleged mishandling of the police prompted a series of protests around Yuen Long, expanding the extent of Hong Kong's anti-extradition bill protests.
On 27 June 2021, the West Rail line officially merged with the Ma On Shan line (which was already extended into the Tuen Ma line Phase 1 at the time) in East Kowloon to form the new Tuen Ma line, as part of the Shatin to Central link project. Hence, Yuen Long was included in the project and is now an intermediate station on the Tuen Ma line.
|Platform 2||Tuen Ma line towards Wu Kai Sha (Kam Sheung Road) →|
|Island platform, doors will open on the right|
|Platform 1||← Tuen Ma line towards Tuen Mun (Long Ping)|
|C||Concourse||Customer services, toilets|
|MTRShops, ticket machines, ATMs|
|G||Light Rail stop||Exits, Light Rail Yuen Long stop, public transport interchange|
- A: Long Yat Road
- B: Nam Pin Wai
- E: Light Rail 
- F: Yoho Mall II 
- G1: Light Rail 
- G2: Tung Tau Tsuen 
- H: Pok Oi Hospital
- J: Ying Lung Wai
- K: Yoho Mall I 
Exits C and D are reserved.
- "All KCR West Rail stations in the New Territories topped out". Kowloon–Canton Railway Corporation. 24 May 2002.
- Hussain, Naeem; Kwok, Michael (2006). "The Yuen Long section: viaducts and stations". The Arup Journal. 2006 (3): 7–17.
- "Hong Kong's West Rail Officially Opens". Odyssey Media Group. 20 December 2003. Retrieved 7 June 2021.
- "New Entrance Opened at MTR Yuen Long Station" (PDF). MTR Corporation. 31 May 2017.
- "'Where were the police?' Hong Kong outcry after masked thugs launch attack". The Guardian. 22 July 2019. Archived from the original on 22 July 2019. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- "45 injured after mob attack at Hong Kong MTR station". Channel NewsAsia. 22 July 2019. Archived from the original on 23 July 2019. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- "How marauding gang dressed in white struck fear into Yuen Long". South China Morning Post. Hong Kong. 23 July 2019. Archived from the original on 23 July 2019. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- Leung, Christy; Ting, Victor (22 July 2019). "Police chief defends 'late' force response to mob violence in Yuen Long". South China Morning Post. Hong Kong. Archived from the original on 22 July 2019. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- Cheng, Kris (22 July 2019). "Chaos and bloodshed in Hong Kong district as hundreds of masked men assault protesters, journalists, residents". Hong Kong Free Press (HKFP). Archived from the original on 22 July 2019. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- At least 45 injured as rod-wielding mob dressed in white rampages through Yuen Long station, beating screaming protesters Archived 22 July 2019 at the Wayback Machine – South China Morning Post
- 【元朗襲擊】白裙女懷孕不足3個月沒通知醫院 診所求醫證胎平安 (22:46). online "instant news". Ming Pao. Hong Kong: Media Chinese International. 23 July 2019. Archived from the original on 24 July 2019. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- "Police and protesters clash on eighth weekend of Hong Kong marches". CNN. 22 July 2019.
- "Yuen Long Station layout" (PDF). MTR Corporation. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "Yuen Long Station street map" (PDF). MTR Corporation. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- Media related to Yuen Long Station at Wikimedia Commons