Woman selling crafts with her daughter in a river near the Sierra de Perija
|Regions with significant populations|
| Venezuela 10,877|
Colombia 4,761 
Yukpa is an Amerindian ethnic group that inhabits the northeastern part of the Cesar Department in northern Colombia by the Serranía del Perijá bordering Venezuela. Their territory covers the eastern areas of the municipalities of Robles La Paz, Codazzi and Becerril in Resguardos (indian reserve) named Socorpa, Menkue, El Cozo Iroka and some other small areas in Venezuela. According to an Inter Press Service story, the majority of the Yukpa, who number nearly 10,000, live in Venezuela although some communities are still located in the mountains across the border in Colombia. The Yukpa people have been known to consume certain nest-inhabiting wasp species, such as Polistes pacificus, which make paper nests that can be quickly knocked from its hanging place on a tree directly into a fire, where the larvae are then toasted.
- "Yukpa del Perijá, cazadores, recolectores, agricultores". Ministerio de Cultura de Colombia, 2010.
- Venezuela Government Distributes Land to Yukpa Indians Archived October 30, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Ruddle, Kenneth (1973). "The Human Use of Insects: Examples from the Yukpa" (PDF). Biotropica Vol. 5 no. 2, pp. 94-101. Retrieved September 2014. Check date values in:
- Ethnologue.com: the Yukpa language
- everyculture.com: Yukpa
- Red de Gestores Sociales: Yukpa
- ESTUDIO SOBRE LAS CONDICIONES Y CALIDAD DE VIDA DE LA ETNIA YUKPA[permanent dead link]
- David M. Howard account of protestant missionaries among Yukpa Indians
- "Venezuela Returns More Land to Yukpa People in 2011," Indian Country Today
"Taking the Gospel to the Yukpa": https://www.wsj.com/articles/taking-the-gospel-to-the-yukpa-1470353212
|This Colombia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Venezuela-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about ethnicity or ethnology is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|