In 2004 Brodskaya moved from Moscow to UK where she continued her education in art, at the University of Hertfordshire, graduating with a Master of Art in Graphics Communication degree in 2006. Brodskaya started working as a freelance graphic designer, but she very quickly switched to the illustration field and became known for her innovative method of working with edge-glued strips of paper. However,the graphic design background has an influence on her art work as most of the initial pieces have a strong typographic focus:
“Typography is my second love, after paper and I’m really happy that I’ve found a way of combining the two. Having said that, I don’t want to exclude non-typobased designs, I’d like to work on different projects.”
Much of Brodskaya’s work uses an old technique called Quilling, in which ribbons of paper are used to create intricate designs; however she takes it to an entirely new level. She has swiftly earned an international reputation for her innovative paper illustrations and was named the ‘breakthrough star’ of the 2009 by Creative review magazine. She’s honed her skill since that, constantly challenging herself to find new ways to practice quilling with subjects ranging from typography to portraiture. Paper quilling has seen a resurgence over the last few years, and it’s arguably thanks to the handiwork of Brodskaya Brodskaya. When describing her paper art works Brodskaya says she is drawing with paper instead of on it.
Her work for g2 (The Guardian) has been included in D & AD Annual 2009. She also designed one of the Google Chrome themes. In 2015 Brodskaya designed an official poster for The Wimbledon Championships and created a large paper artwork for the Wimbledon Clubhouse the following year. She created a Forever® stamp design for USPS and a set of Christmas 2017 stamps for New Zealand Post. She was featured among other leading UK-based artists in the BBC programme Making Art Work: First Idea to Final Piece.
- "Computer Arts projects issue 133, p87".
- "Creative review magazine (Dec 2009, p32)".
- "Stunning New Paper Quilling Portraits by Yulia Brodskaya". 9 May 2017. Retrieved 19 December 2018.
- "artyulia ABOUT". Retrieved 19 December 2018.
- "D & AD Annual 2009".
- "Yulia Brodskaya Google Theme".
- "Wimbledon launches Official Poster for The Championships 2015". 30 March 2015. Retrieved 19 December 2018.
- Caitlin Gibson (10 February 2016). "Take a close look at the mindblowing artwork you might miss on the new 'Love' stamp". Retrieved 19 December 2018.
- "Christmas 2017". Retrieved 19 December 2018.
- "BBC Two - Making Art Work: First Idea to Final Piece". Retrieved 19 December 2018.
Her work has been featured in: