Movsisyan with Spartak in 2015
|Full name||Yura S. Movsisyan|
|Date of birth||2 August 1987|
|Place of birth||Baku, Azerbaijan SSR, Soviet Union|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|2006–2007||Kansas City Wizards||28||(5)|
|2007–2009||Real Salt Lake||53||(15)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 11 May 2015.
Yura Movsisyan (Armenian: Յուրա Սարգիսի Մովսիսյան, born 2 August 1987) is an Armenian football player who currently plays forward for the Armenian national team and for Spartak Moscow in the Russian Premier League.
Yura Movsisyan was born 2 August 1987 in Baku, Azerbaijan SSR to an Armenian family of parents Sergey Movsisyan and Aida Sahakyan and brothers Movses and Hovhannes. Yura has no memories of his home. All he recalls is his family left in "late 1991 or early 1992" because of what Yura remembers as "Killing ... everything." His family moved to the United States and settled in the Los Angeles area, where there is a large Armenian community. Movsisyan attended and played soccer at Pasadena High School, and played a year of college soccer at Pasadena City College before being discovered by MLS scouts prior to the 2006 MLS SuperDraft. His idol is Thierry Henry.
Kansas City Wizards
Movsisyan was signed to a Generation Adidas contract and became the surprise of draft day, with the Kansas City Wizards (now known as Sporting Kansas City) selecting him with the fourth overall pick, the highest in MLS history for a player who did not go to a Division I college program or was not a U.S. youth international. After one game being unused, Movsisyan finally made his debut, coming on as a substitute, in a 2-1 loss against D.C. United on 13 May 2006. Movsisyan became a regular player in the first team by the end of his first professional season. The following season, Movsisyan scored his first goal of his professional career in a 3-0 win over Toronto on 25 April 2007. Soon after, this was followed up when he scored a brace against New York Red Bulls next month on 16 May 2007. He would score twice more goals, rising up to five, against Los Angeles Galaxy and Chivas USA.
Real Salt Lake
In September 2007, Movsisyan was traded to Real Salt Lake in a deal involving MLS SuperDraft picks and an international roster spot. Movsisyan made his debut on 17 September 2007 in a 2-2 draw against Los Angeles Galaxy and setting up a goal for Carey Talley. At the last game of the season, Movsisyan received a red card, for the first time of his career, in a 1-0 loss against Houston Dynamo. The next season, Movsisyan would score his first goal in a 4-3 loss against Houston Dynamo on 16 August 2008. On 6 September 2008, Movsisyan scored and set up a goal for Will Johnson in a 2-2 draw against Los Angeles Galaxy, followed by scoring a brace in a 3-2 win over San Jose Earthquakes at the same months. Movsisyan was the player to score Real Salt Lake's first ever MLS Cup Playoffs goal when he scored the winner (and only goal) on 1 November 2008 at Rio Tinto Stadium, when the Utah side beat Chivas USA. At Real Salt Lake, Movsisyan had been on the goalscoring form. Movsisyan signed a pre-contract with Danish club Randers FC on 6 July 2009, with an agreement to join the club following the conclusion of the 2009 MLS season. Having helped Real Salt Lake win their first ever MLS Cup championship that season after beating Los Angeles Galaxy 5-4 on penalties although he was substituted in the second half, Movsisyan left the club and joined Randers on 1 January 2010.
Movsisyan made his debut for Randers FC on the opening game of the season in 0-0 draw against Esbjerg fB on 7 March 2010 and scored a brace twice in a 3-1 win over Silkeborg IF on 14 April 2010 and a 2-0 win over Midtjylland in the same month. At the end of the season, Movsisyan made 13 appearance and scoring 7 in an impressive form despite playing in the second half of the season. During that season, Movsisyan scored twice and provided an assist for Søren Pedersen in a 6-1 win over Dudelange in the first round of Europa League and would win 7-3 on aggregate to advanced to the next round. Another match win in the Europa League, Movsisyan scored a brace in a 3-2 loss against Lausanne-Sport, but the club was eliminated after a 1-1 draw, which Movsisyan scored in the match. The club would In Randers FC, Movsisyan replaced the past season topscorer Marc Nygaard's position, from the first match of the spring season. In Denmark he established himself as a powerhouse, playing a major role in the saving of Randers FC from relegation from the Danish Superliga. His good performance led the Russian side Rubin Kazan and Ukrainian side Dynamo Kyiv.
He was sold for €2.5 million to FC Krasnodar in Winter 2011. Movsisyan made his debut in an opening game of the season on 12 March 2011 in a 0-0 draw against Anzhi Makhachkala and scored his first goal in a 2-0 win over Spartak Nalchik in the next game. After fighting injury early in the season, Movsisyan has become a major producer on the team and has netted 14 goals, including a brace against Volga (that win would keep the club safe from relegation) and a goal, own goal and an assist in a 2-2 draw against Amkar Perm. At the end of the season, Movsisyan was selected as the Most Valuable Player of the Year for 2011 by the club. Even after the 2011/12 season, Movsisyan was named the top 10 best new foreign player and was the topscorer in the Relegation group. In the opening game of the season, Movsisyan scored a brace in a 2-1 win over Rubin Kazan and scored another and provide an assist for Joãozinho in a 3-1 win over Lokomotiv Moscow. He would score twice brace in a 2-2 draw against Amkar Perm and another goal and an assist for Dušan Anđelković in a 6-1 win over against Mordovia Saransk. His goalscoring form made him linked with various club. But this didn't stop Krasnodar as the club offered him a new three year contract However, the club couldn't match his salary after Movsisyan wanted a higher salary, according to Manager Slavoljub Muslin. Movsisyan stated Krasnodar will always be dear to him and expressed gratitude to Krasnodar FC president Sergey Galitsky for ensuring perfect conditions for professional growth.
Movsisyan completed a move to Spartak Moscow on 8 December 2012 for a reported €7.5 million and signed a contract for 4.5 years with a salary of €1.5 million a year. He is the 7th most expensive transfer in Spartak history. On 10 March 2013, Movsisyan made his debut for the new club in a home game against Terek Grozny. Movsisyan had an immediate impact by scoring a hat-trick, leading to Spartak victory 3-1. This was the first hat-trick Movsisyan scored in his career and he became the first Spartak player to score a hat-trick in his debut. His next goal came in a 2:0 home victory over Amkar Perm. Movsisiyan then received an injury in a 2:2 derby against CSKA moscow and missed the next 3 games. At the end of the season his team finished 4th which means they have qualified for the play-off round of the UEFA Europa League. Next season started perfectly for Yura, he scored a goal in the first match of the season from a penalty, in a 2:1 victory over Kryliya Sovetov.
Spartak legends Nikita Simonyan and Alexander Mirzoyan have personally sent well wishes to Movsisyan in connection with his becoming a Spartak player. Mirzoyan personally wished Movsisyan success and gave Movsisyan an autographed photo of him. Simonyan wrote to Movsisyan, “Dear Yura, I hope that you win more titles at Spartak than I. I wish you success!” Movsisyan replied: “It will be difficult to exceed Simonyan’s achievements—[both] as a player and a coach. Thanks very much for such valuable gift. I know of Simonyan and Mirzoyan as the greatest players, and I am proud to be an Armenian just like them. I have not seen them play, but I know that they have done a lot for Spartak. I am not even close to them [in terms of accomplishments]. [But] I certainly do have plans. I want to score goals and achieve wins. [And] when something goes successfully, I will enter into history at that time.”
Movsisyan originally stated that his goal was to gain American citizenship and join the United States national team. However, on 9 August 2010, he joined the Armenia national team and made his debut in a friendly against Iran on 11 August 2010. He was one of the most prolific strikers in the UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying campaign, netting in 4 goals and assisting in 5 others.
Movsisyan was raised in Los Angeles and holds both American and Armenian citizenship. Movsisyan is married to Marianna and they have two children, a daughter, Aida (b. 2012), and a son, Arman (b. 2010).
|Club||Season||Domestic League||Domestic Cup||Continental Competition||Friendly/Other||Total|
|Kansas City Wizards||2006||10||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||10||0|
|Real Salt Lake||2007||5||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||5||0|
|FC Spartak Moscow||2012–13||8||4||0||0||0||0||0||0||8||4|
- Scores and results list Armenia's goal tally first.
|1.||7 September 2010||Philip II Arena, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia||Macedonia||1–0||2–2||UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying|
|2.||8 October 2010||Republican Stadium, Yerevan, Armenia||Slovakia||1–0||3–1||UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying|
|3.||12 October 2010||Republican Stadium, Yerevan, Armenia||Andorra||3–0||4–0||UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying|
|4.||6 September 2011||Štadión pod Dubňom, Žilina, Slovakia||Slovakia||1–0||4–0||UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying|
|5.||6 May 2012||Republican Stadium, Yerevan, Armenia||Kazakhstan||3–0||3–0||Friendly|
|6.||11 June 2013||Parken Stadium, Copenhagen, Denmark||Denmark||1–0||4–0||2014 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|8.||11 October 2013||Republican Stadium, Yerevan, Armenia||Bulgaria||2–1||2–1||2014 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|9.||15 October 2013||Stadio San Paolo, Naples, Italy||Italy||1–0||2–2||2014 FIFA World Cup qualification|
- 2011-12 FC Krasnodar Player of the Season
- 2012-13 Russian Premier League top scorer
- List of 33 top players of the Russian league: 2013/14.
- "Combine presents land of opportunity". Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- Յուրա Մովսիսյան. Երբ նայում ես Մեսիին ու Ռոնալդուին, հասկանում ես, որ պետք է շատ աշխատել (in Armenian). sport.news.am. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- Movsisyan signs pre-contract with Randers, will leave RSL after season
- Юра Мовсисян: "Я прислушался к сердцу и выбрал Армению" (in Russian). Sports.ru. 3 June 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Yura Movsisyan joins FC Krasnodar
- Лучшим игроком ФК "Краснодар" в 2011 году признан Юра Мовсисян (in Russian). Official Site of FC Krasnodar. 30 December 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "FC Krasnodar to offer Yura Movsisyan 3-year contract". PanArmenian.net. 2 October 2012. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Yura Movsisyan wants higher salary – Krasnodar manager". News.am Sport. 28 November 2012. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Yura Movsisyan: Krasnodar FC will always be dear to me". PanArmenian.Net. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Յուրա Մովսիսյանը՝ "Սպարտակի" ամենաթանկ տրանսֆերների ցուցակում (in Armenian). sport.news.am. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Спартак - Терек. СОГАЗ-Чемпионат России по футболу 2012/2013, 20-й тур, № 160 (in Russian). rus.rfpl.org. Retrieved 10 March 2013.
- "Спартак Москва vs. Терек Грозный 3 - 1" (in Russian). ru.soccerway.com. Retrieved 10 March 2013.
- Յուրա Մովսիսյանի պատասխանը Նիկիտա Սիմոնյանին (in Armenian). sport.news.am. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Мовсисян — первый, кто сделал хет-трик за "Спартак" в дебютном матче чемпионата (in Russian). championat.com. Retrieved 10 March 2013.
- You Asked?: Yura Movsisyan Answers, Goal.com, 2009-07-20, retrieved 2010-06-30
- U.S. striker joins Armenia’s national soccer team, Armenian Reporter, 2010-08-09, retrieved 2010-08-09
- "Former RSL striker Movsisyan completes Spartak move". MLSsoccer.com. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "Armenian striker Yura Movsisyan's life has gone full circle as he stars in Russia". goal.com. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Հայաստանի հավաքականի ֆուտբոլիստների կանայք (ֆոտո) (in Armenian). sport.news.am. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- Official Facebook FanPage
- FC Krasnodar player profile
- MLS player profile
- Yura Movsisyan profile at Soccerway
- Danish Superliga statistics
- Randers FC profile
- Yura Movsisyan at National-Football-Teams.com