Yuri's Night 'Yurihead' logo
|Inaugurated||April 12, 2001|
Yuri's Night is an international celebration held every April 12 to commemorate milestones in space exploration.
Yuri's Night is named for the first human to launch into space, Yuri Gagarin, who flew the Vostok 1 spaceship on April 12, 1961. The launch of STS-1, the first Space Shuttle mission, is also honored, as it was launched 20 years to the day of Vostok 1 on April 12, 1981. In 2013, Yuri's Night was celebrated at over 350 events in 57 countries.
Yuri's Night is often called the "World Space Party".
The goal of Yuri's Night is to increase public interest in space exploration and to inspire a new generation of explorers. Driven by space-inspired artistic expression and culminating in a worldwide network of annual celebrations and educational events, Yuri's Night creates a global community of young people committed to shaping the future of space exploration while developing responsible leaders and innovators with a global perspective. These global events are a showcase for elements of culture that embrace space including music, dance, fashion, and art.
History of Yuri's Night
Yuri's Night was created in 2000 by Loretta Hidalgo, George T. Whitesides and Trish Garner. The first Yuri's Night was held on April 12, 2001, exactly 40 years after the launch of Vostok 1. Since 1962, April 12 has also been celebrated in Russia (formerly the Soviet Union) as Cosmonautics Day (Russian: День Космонавтики) and since 2011 internationally as the International Day of Human Space Flight.
The 2004 Yuri's Night event in Los Angeles was attended by space-related figures including author Ray Bradbury, space tourist Dennis Tito, X-Prize founder Peter Diamandis, *NSYNC's Lance Bass and Nichelle Nichols (Uhura from the original Star Trek series). The event included a large party with 2 dance floors and world-class DJs.
The 2007 event in the San Francisco Bay Area was held at NASA Ames Research Center at Moffett Field in Mountain View, CA. The event featured artistic installations, technology demonstrations, and DJ music continuing through dawn of the following day.
April 2011 marked the 50th anniversary of Gagarin's historic first flight. Over 100,000 people attended 567 Yuri's Night parties in 75 countries, and the crew of Expedition 27 recorded a Yuri's Night celebratory greeting from the International Space Station.
Yuri's Night today
Yuri's Night has been celebrated in locations including Los Angeles , the San Francisco Bay Area , Huntsville, Alabama , New Orleans , Inverness , Stockholm, Tel Aviv, Tokyo, Lisbon , Afghanistan, Latvia , Romania, Peru, Antarctica, and the International Space Station , in addition to many other locations and virtual online celebrations .
Yuri's Night is organized on a global level by an all-volunteer "Executive Team", which provides logistical and promotional support to Yuri's Night events worldwide. Individual organizers are responsible for registering and running their local events.
- "Darwin's Day to Yuri's Night: some science dates to remember". The Guardian. 2014-09-20. Retrieved 2015-01-17.
- Ryan Kobrick, R. Brice Russ, and Timothy Bailey (2011). Yuri's Night: Linking the World Together with an International Space Celebration. Retrieved on 2/9/2014 from http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/6.2011-5175.
- Teague, Jason Cranford (2011-02-14). "Celebrate 50 Years of Human Space Flight on Yuri's Night". Wired. Retrieved 2011-04-04.
- Государственная Дума. Федеральный закон №32-ФЗ от 13 марта 1995 г. «["Archived copy". Archived from the original on May 7, 2012. Retrieved April 21, 2012. О днях воинской славы и памятных датах России]», в ред. Федерального закона №59-ФЗ от 10 апреля 2009 г «О внесении изменения в статью 1.1 федерального закона "О днях воинской славы и памятных датах России"». Вступил в силу со дня официального опубликования. Опубликован: "Российская Газета", №52, 15 марта 1995 г. (State Duma. Federal Law #32-FZ of March 13, 1995 [https://web.archive.org/web/20120507141556/http://ntc.duma.gov.ru/duma_na/asozd/asozd_text.php?code=22479 "Archived copy". Archived from the original on May 7, 2012. Retrieved April 21, 2012. On the Days of Military Glory and the Commemorative Dates in Russia], as amended by the Federal Law #59-FZ of April 10, 2009 On Amending Article 1.1 of the Federal Law "On the Days of Military Glory and the Commemorative Dates in Russia". Effective as of the day of the official publication.).
- "Sci-Fi Legend Ray Bradbury, Mars Rover Team, Young Professionals Celebrate Spaceflight Milestone In Style At Annual Gala"
- Beale, Scott (2007-04-14). "Photos of Yuri's Night Bay Area 2007, A Giant Party at NASA". Laughing Squid. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- About Yuri's Night
- Yuri's Night 2011 International Space Station Crew: 50th Anniversary of Human Spaceflight (YouTube)
- Yuri's Night Executive Team
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yuri's Night.|
- Yuri's Night
- MSNBC: Feeling down about spaceflight? Lift your spirits with Yuri's Night
- No Borders - Bridging Cultures Through Yuri's Night video of the presentation during the IAC 2013 (YouTube)