Yuri Balashov in 1973
|Full name||Юрий Сергеевич Балашов|
|Country||Soviet Union → Russia|
12 March 1949 |
Shadrinsk, Kurgan Oblast, RSFSR, USSR
|FIDE rating||2418 (November 2015)|
|Peak rating||2600 (January 1979)|
He was awarded the grandmaster title in 1973. Balashov was Moscow Champion in 1970 and 2nd to Anatoly Karpov in the 1976 USSR Chess Championship. In 1977 he won Lithuanian Chess Championship. He tied for 1st at Lone Pine 1977 and tied for 1st at Wijk aan Zee 1982.
Balashov represented the USSR in several team events. He played second board for the USSR team at the 1971, 1972, and 1974 World Student Team Championships, winning the second board individual gold in 1971 when he was an IM with 6.5/8. Balashov played in four European Team Chess Championships, 1970, 1973, 1977, and 1980, winning the fifth board individual gold in 1977. At the 24th Chess Olympiad in 1980, he scored 7.5/10 as the first board reserve to help the USSR team win the gold medal.
In the 1970s and early 1980s he was one of the top 25 chess players in the world. According to Chessmetrics, at his peak in July 1977 Balashov's play was equivalent to a rating of 2715, and he was ranked number 11 in the world. His best single performance was at Moscow (URS Championship), 1976, where he scored 10.5/16 possible points (66%) against 2688-rated opposition, for a performance rating of 2773.
On the December 2013 FIDE list his Elo rating is 2447.
- Yuri Balashov vs David Bronstein, Yerevan URS ch 1975, Spanish Game: Breyer Defense (C95), 1-0
- Evgeni Ellinovich Sveshnikov vs Yuri Balashov, Moscow URS ch 1976, French Defense: Euwe Variation (C02), 0-1
- Yuri Balashov vs Vasily Smyslov, Tilburg 1977, Spanish Game: Open Variations, Howell Attack (C81), 1-0
- Oleg Romanishin vs Yuri Balashov, Minsk URS ch 1979, Sicilian Defense: Paulsen Variation (B48), 0-1
- Khosro Sheik Harandi vs Yuri Balashov, Rio de Janeiro izt 1979, Sicilian Defense: Richter-Rauzer (B64), 0-1
- Anatoli Karpov vs Yuri Balashov, USSR 1980, Queen's Indian Defense: Kasparov Variation (E12), 0-1
- Prandstetter, Eduard; Balashov, Yuri (1992). Basic Endgames. Prague Chess Agency. ISBN 80-901056-0-2.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yuri Balashov.|
- Yuri S Balashov rating card at FIDE
- Yuri Balashov player profile and games at Chessgames.com
- Yuri Balashov at 365Chess.com
- Balashov, Yury team chess record at Olimpbase.org
- Chessmetrics Player Profile: Yuri Balashov