|First Deputy Minister of Internal Affairs of the Soviet Union|
February 1980 – November 1984
|Preceded by||Viktor Paputin|
|Succeeded by||Vasily Trushin|
Yuri Mikhailovich Churbanov
11 November 1936
Moscow, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
|Died||7 October 2013 (aged 76)|
|Nationality||Soviet and Russian|
|Political party||Communist Party of the Soviet Union|
|Spouse(s)||Galina Brezhneva (former)|
Yuri Mikhailovich Churbanov (Russian: Ю́рий Миха́йлович Чурба́нов; 11 November 1936 – 7 October 2013) was a Soviet politician and the son-in-law of Soviet politician and longtime General Secretary Leonid Brezhnev.
Life and career
Churbanov was born on 11 November 1936. As a young boy he was an active member of the Komsomol. He attended the Moscow State University in the 1960s and studied in the Faculty of Law. In 1967 he started working as a police officer, and in 1971 before his marriage to Galina Brezhneva, became a Lieutenant Colonel of the Police. His marriage to Galina was arranged by her father, General Secretary Leonid Brezhnev. When marrying Galina Churbanov left his wife and his two children. A friend of Galina has told the Russian media that there was no love between the two, and that they kissed only two times, the first at their wedding and the second when Churbanov was sent to jail. However, Churbanov's marriage to Galina led to him being rapidly promoted. When he married Galina he was working as a police officer, however, four years later he was First Deputy Minister of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and held the military rank of General. Churbanov was arrested on charges of embezzlement and corruption along with Galina's brother, Yuri. In 1990, when Churbanov was still in jail, Galina filed for a divorce.
Churbanov died on 7 October 2013.
- Юрий Михайлович Чурбанов [Yuri Mikhailovich Churbanov] (in Russian). pseudology.org. Retrieved 16 December 2010.
- "Galina Brezhneva". The Economist. 9 July 1998. Retrieved 16 December 2010.
- Все мужчины в жизни Галины Брежневой [From the artist to the policeman. All the men in the life of Galina Brezhnev] (in Russian). Russian International News Agency. Retrieved 16 December 2010.
- Nikolaevna Vasilʹeva, Larisa (1994). Kremlin wives. Arcade Publishing. p. 221. ISBN 1-55970-260-5.
- "Памяти Юрия Михайловича Чурбанова... | Всероссийская общественная организация ветеранов". Mgobb.ru. Retrieved 2013-10-10.