|• Revised Romanization||Yuseong-gu|
|Administrative divisions||7 administrative dong|
|• Total||177.16 km2 (68.40 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,200/sq mi)|
|Website||Yuseong District Office|
Yuseong District (Yuseong-gu) is a gu ("district") of Daejeon, South Korea, known for high tech industries, Daejeon Expo '93, Daedeok Science Town and the Yuseong Special Tourism District. Daejeon Islamic Center is also located in Kung-dong, Yuseong-gu. The Science Town is the core of the International Science and Business Belt.
Yuseong first started its spa business in 1913, and by the 1970s, major developments were made, adding 12 more hotels to the area, leading this area to be designated first as the Special Spa District in 1981 and finally as the Yuseong Special Tourism District by August 31, 1994.
To prevent centralization in Seoul, then-President Park Chung Hee concentrated the country's high tech industries in the Daedeok Science Town in the 1970s and the Expo '93 was held here. The area is in process of expanding into the International Science and Business Belt.
Tourism and technology
Since the time of the Baekje Kingdom, travellers have visited Yuseong's natural springs and spas. This ultimately resulted in the creation of the Yuseong Special Tourism District. The majority of the hotels in Daejeon are situated in this area, and it is one of the commercial centers of Daejeon Metropolitan City. Some important sight seeing places are the Daejeon National Cemetery, Geological Museum, Currency Museum of Korea, Natural History Museum, Daejeon Prehistory Museum, Asia Museum, Yeojin Gallery, and Daejeon Museum of Art. Science-oriented attractions include National Science Museum, Daejeon Space Observatory, Daedeok Science Town, and Daejeon Institute of Education & Science.
Parks include Expo Science Park and Kumdori Land. Cultural centers include Mokwon University Daedeok Science Culture Center, Jeongsimhwa International Culture Center, Expo Art Hall, Suwungyo Cheondan, Ahnsansanseong (Fortress), Jimjam Confucian School, and Ssunghyeon Ancient Lecture Hall.
Neighborhoods (Dong) of Yuseong
Plans have been made to renovate and develop the areas to attract more tourists. The major project that is currently proposed and evaluated is the Yuseong Leisure Town. Water theme parks, spa resorts, public golf course, and various other attractions will be constructed.
Daedeok Science Park in Yuseong-gu is Korea's top research area, hosting multiple public and private research groups and organizations. Government funded research groups include the following.
- Agency for Defense Development
- Central Research Institute (중앙연구원), Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power
- Central Branch Office (중부분소), National Forensic Service
- Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute
- Institute for Basic Science
- International Intellectual Property Training Institute
- KEPCO Research Institute, Korea Electric Power Corporation
- Korea Aerospace Research Institute
- Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute
- Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute
- Korea Basic Science Institute
- Korea Evaluation Institute of Industrial Technology
- Korea Institute of Energy Research
- Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources
- Korea Institute of Machinery & Materials
- Korea Institute of Nuclear Nonproliferation and Control
- Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety
- Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine
- Korea Institute of R&D Human Resource Development
- Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information
- Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology
- Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology
- Korea Research Institute of Standards and Science
- National Fusion Research Institute
- National Institute for Mathematical Sciences
- National NanoFab Center
- National Research Foundation of Korea
- National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage
- National Security Research Institute
- National Urban Research Institute (국토도시연구원), Korea Land and Housing Corporation
- Research Institute of Water Resources (수자원연구원), K-water
- Ship & Offshore Plant Research Institute (선박해양플랜트연구소), Korea Institute of Ocean Science & Technology
- Oh, Dong-Gyun (2006-12-07). "Yuseong Spa District's Development 유성온천의 현황과 연혁". 충청매일경재 (in Korean). Retrieved 2007-04-23.
1981년 온천지구로 지정하였다. 특히, 봉명동을 비롯한 유성온천, 엑스포 과학공원을 중심으로 1백7십7만2천평을 1994년 8월 31일 유성관광 특구로 지정
- "Daejeon's Leisure Town". 부동산 정보방 (in Korean). 2007-03-16. Retrieved 2007-04-24.
물놀이 스파공원과 대중화의 퍼블릭 골프장,문화 마을조성
- Yuseong-gu website (in English)