The Meadow of Jesus
|State||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Elevation||2,396 m (7,861 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Yusmarg in Kashmiri means The Meadow of Jesus. It is believed by the natives that Jesus came to Kashmir and stayed at Yusmarg for some time. It is an alpine valley covered with snow clad mountains and the meadows of Pine and Fir, It lies 13 km south of Charari Sharief a town of Budgam district of Jammu and Kashmir. It is situated at the bank of Doodganga River which is a tributary of Jehlum River. It is located in the Pir Panjal peaks, a sub range of Himalaya. The Peaks are: the Sunset Peak and the Tatakooti Peak for which the expeditions lead from this hill station. It lies at an altitude of 2396 metres above sea level.
A trek of 4 km leads to a small lake. Another 10 km trek leads to the frozen lake in Sang-e-Safed valley, which is mostly covered by ice even during the summer. Other tourist activities include horse riding, fishing, skiing during winter and photography.
Yusmarg is easily from Srinagar or Srinagar Airport (SXR), the capital of Jammu and Kashmir, 47 km drive in under 2 hours by car or bus leads through Charari Sharief town. During winter the road gets sometimes closed due to snowfall and remains cut off from the kashmir Valley for weeks.
- "Meaning of Yusmarg". visitmanalikulu.com. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- Parvéz Dewân (2004). Parvéz Dewân's Jammû, Kashmîr, and Ladâkh: Kashmîr. Manas Publications, 2004. p. 195–. ISBN 9788170491798. Retrieved 30 June 2012.
- B.K. Chaturvedi (1983). Tourist Centers Of India. Diamond Pocket Books (P) Ltd. p. 81–. ISBN 9788171821372. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- M.S. Kohli (1983). The Himalayas: Play Ground of the Gods Trekking Climbling Adventure. Indus Publishing, 1983. p. 40–. ISBN 9788173871078. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- "Yusmarg a hill station". yda.co.in. Archived from the original on October 29, 2011. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- "Reaching Yusmarg". nativeplanet.com. Retrieved 2012-07-01.
- "How to reach Yusmarg". kashmirtourism.com. Retrieved 2012-07-01.
|Yusmarg on Youtube|