|Born||March 5, 1970|
Kishiwada, Osaka, Japan
|Occupation||Cartoonist, writer, artist and illustrator|
|Notable works||Fushigi Yûgi|
Ceres, Celestial Legend
Arata: The Legend
Yuu Watase (渡瀬 悠宇, Watase Yuu, born March 5, 1970, in Kishiwada, Osaka) is a Japanese shōjo manga artist. Watase received the Shogakukan Manga Award for shōjo for Ceres, Celestial Legend in 1997. Watase debuted at the age of eighteen with the short story "Pajama de Ojama" ("An Intrusion in Pajamas"), and has since created more than 80 compiled volumes of short stories and continuing series. In October 2008, Watase began their first shōnen serialization, Arata: The Legend in Weekly Shōnen Sunday.
Their name is romanized as "Yû Watase" in earlier printings of Viz Media's publications of Fushigi Yūgi, Alice 19th, and Ceres, Celestial Legend, while in Viz Media's Fushigi Yūgi Genbu Kaiden and Absolute Boyfriend their name is romanized as "Yuu Watase". In Chuang Yi's English-language versions of Fushigi Yugi (spelled without a macron or circumflex), their name is romanized as "Yu Watase". Yuu Watase is a pen name. They chose "Yuu" because they liked the name.
Early career and methods
Watase developed an interest in drawing manga at a young age. However, Watase did not receive any formal training until after high school when they went to a private art school. There they were taught how to draw manga, but because their first short story, "Pajama de Ojama", had already debuted, Watase quit in the middle of it.
Watase prefers to work with more traditional methods, because they feel the traditional methods have more feelings. Despite finding new media jarring, Watase has expressed a desire to work with new media as well. While Watase mostly works with colored inks and markers, they have used digital programs such as Photoshop to enhance traditional work.
Issues in career
In a blog post, Watase detailed some of the issues that they faced as a manga artist. A former editor for Arata: The Legend continuously asked Watase to redraw scenes that they did not like or understand. Watase was doing redraws all day and pulling late nights just to meet the next morning's deadlines. Because of the constant cycle, Watase began to lose interest in working on the manga for the fans or even the story. They were simply working to try and get it approved for the weekly publication.
Watase Yuu Flower Comics
- Fushigi Yûgi – 18 vols.
- Fushigi Yûgi Genbu Kaiden – 12 vols.
- Fushigi Yûgi Byakko Ibun – (oneshot)
- Fushigi Yûgi Byakko Senki – ongoing, first volume released in April 2018.
- Shishunki Miman Okotowari – 3 vols.
- Zoku Shishunki Miman Okotowari – 3 vols.
- Shishunki Miman Okotowari Kanketsu Hen – 1 vol.
- Epotoransu! Mai – 2 vols.
- Ceres, Celestial Legend (Ayashi no Ceres) – 14 vols.
- Appare Jipangu! – 3 vols.
- Imadoki! – 5 vols.
- Alice 19th – 7 vols.
- Absolute Boyfriend (Zettai Kareshi) – 6 vols.
- Sakura Gari – 3 vols.
Shōnen Sunday Comics
- Arata: The Legend (Arata Kangatari) – 24 vols.
Watase Yuu Masterpiece Collection
- Gomen Asobase!
- Otenami Haiken!
- Suna no Tiara
- Mint de Kiss Me
- Oishii Study
- Musubiya Nanako
Yuu Watase Best Selection
- Sunde ni Touch
- Perfect Lovers
Watase Yuu Flower Comics Deluxe, Kanzenban, Shogakukan Bunko
- Fushigi Yūgi Bunko – 10 vols.
- Ayashi no Ceres (Ceres, Celestial Legend) Bunko – 7 vols.
- Alice 19th Bunko – 4 vols.
- Zettai Kareshi Bunko – 3 vols.
- Imadoki! Bunko – 3 vols.
- Shishunki Miman Okotowari Bunko – 3 vols.
- Fushigi Yūgi Kanzenban – 9 vols.
Flower Comics Deluxe
- Shishunki Miman Okotowari
- Shishunki Miman Okotowari/Zoku Shishunki Miman Okotowari
- Zoku Shishunki Miman Okotowari
- Pajama de Ojama
- Mint de Kiss Me
- Epotoransu! Mai
- Watase Yuu Illustration Collection Fushigi Yūgi
- Watase Yuu Illustration Collection – Part 2 Fushigi Yūgi Animation World
- "Ayashi no Ceres" Illustration Collection Tsumugi Uta ~Amatsu Sora Naru Hito o Kofutote~
- Yuu Watase Post Card Book I
- Yuu Watase Post Card Book II
- Shishunki Miman Okotowari – 4 vols.
- Fushigi Yūgi – 18 vols.
- Ayashi no Ceres – 6 vols.
- Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden – 1 vol.
- Absolute Boyfriend – 6 vols.
- Masei Kishin Den (Illustration)
- Yada ze! (Illustration)
- Piratica (Illustration)
- 小学館漫画賞: 歴代受賞者 (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved August 19, 2007.
-  Shojo Beat
- "Watase Yuu Interview!". www.angelfire.com. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- カンガタリ:リマスター｣⑪発売中, 渡瀬悠宇:新刊｢アラタ (May 20, 2019). "ブログでもここでも呟いたけど、再度。 漫画にも影響してると思うから。 私はXジェンダーと医師に診断されてて、中身は、男にも女にも寄れるし男でも女でもない。 見た目はちゃんと(20代後半から社会に合わせて)どうせやるならやるでメイクもオシャレもする、それだけ。 女性の身体は否定しないが→" [I blogged here and again, but again. I think it also affects manga. I have been diagnosed by X-gender and a doctor, and the contents are neither men nor women, nor men or women. It looks just fine (according to society from the late 20s), and if you do it, you can make and be fashionable. I do not deny the female body →]. @wataseyuu_ (in Japanese). Retrieved August 16, 2019.
- "Y u u * W a t a s e * F a n p a g e". www.yuuwatase.de. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- "Mangaka Yuu Watase Blogs About Editorial Harassment". Anime News Network. Retrieved March 28, 2017.