Cover of first manga volume featuring the main characters (from left to right): Yui, Yuzuko and Yukari.
|Genre||Comedy, Slice of life|
|Written by||Komata Mikami|
|Magazine||Manga Time Kirara|
|Original run||April 2008 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Written by||Natsuko Takahashi|
|Music by||Asuka Sakai|
|Network||Tokyo MX, SUN-TV, KBS, tvk, TV Aichi, AT-X, BS11, Anime Network|
|Original run||April 9, 2013 – June 26, 2013|
|Original video animation|
|Written by||Natsuko Takahashi|
|Music by||Asuka Sakai|
|Released||February 22, 2017|
Yuyushiki (Japanese: ゆゆ式?) is a Japanese 4-panel manga series written and illustrated by Komata Mikami, which began serialization in Houbunsha's Manga Time Kirara magazine from April 2008. A television anime adaptation by Kinema Citrus aired in Japan between April and June 2013. An original video animation will be released on February 22, 2017. The series' name is derived from the term "yuyushiki jitai" (由々しき事態?, lit. "in a serious situation").
The series follows the daily lives of three high school girls; the intelligent but childish Yuzuko, the kind but airheaded Yukari, and the mature and easily irritated Yui, who are all part of their school's Data Processing Club (情報処理部 Jōhōshori-bu?). As the girls spend their days having meaningless discussions, they occasionally come up with themes to research while in the clubroom.
- Yuzuko Nonohara (野々原 ゆずこ Nonohara Yuzuko?)
- Voiced by: Rumi Ōkubo
- The first member of the Data Processing Club. She normally has an innocent nature, but will sometimes break out into bouts of outrageous behaviour. Despite her dimwitted behaviour and crazy ideas, she is actually quite smart when it comes to studies.
- Yui Ichii (櫟井 唯 Ichii Yui?)
- Voiced by: Minami Tsuda
- The second member of the Data Processing Club. A generally shy girl who often serves as the straight man to the antics of Yuzuko and Yukari, who often like to tease her.
- Yukari Hinata (日向 縁 Hinata Yukari?)
- Voiced by: Risa Taneda
- The third member of the Data Processing Club. A generally light headed girl who will often copy Yuzuko's antics if she finds them amusing. She comes from a rich family and was friends with Yui in elementary school.
- Chiho Aikawa (相川 千穂 Aikawa Chiho?)
- Voiced by: Ai Kayano
- A classmate of the girls and the class president. She is a quiet girl who admires Yui a lot and wants to become friends with her, but is usually intimidated by Yuzuko and Yukari's antics.
- Kei Okano (岡野 佳 Okano Kei?)
- Voiced by: Megumi Han
- A classmate of the girls and Chiho's friend. She is quite fond of Chiho and is often cold towards Yui for allegedly taking Chiho away from her.
- Fumi Hasegawa (長谷川 ふみ Hasegawa Fumi?)
- Voiced by: Mana Shimizu
- A classmate of the girls and Chiho and Kei's friend. She is aware of Kei's fondness for Chiho and often teases her about it.
- Yoriko Matsumoto (松本 頼子 Matsumoto Yoriko?)
- Voiced by: Yui Horie
- The girls' homeroom teacher and advisor of the Data Processing Club. She is often called "Mom" (お母さん Okā-san?) by her students due to her generally kind nature.
The original manga by Komata Mikami began serialization in Houbunsha's Manga Time Kirara magazine from April 2008. Eight tankōbon volumes of the manga were released between March 26, 2009 and June 26, 2016.
The television anime adaptation is produced by Kinema Citrus and is directed by Kaori. Series composition is done by Natsuko Takahashi and character design by Hisayuki Tabata. The series aired between April 9 and June 26, 2013 and was simulcast with by Crunchyroll. The opening theme is "One Two!" (せーのっ! Sēno!?) by Rumi Ōkubo, Minami Tsuda and Risa Taneda while the ending theme is "Affection" by Mayumi Morinaga. Sentai Filmworks licensed the series in North America and released it on subtitled DVD on July 1, 2014. An original video animation episode will be released in Japan on February 22, 2017.
|#||Episode title||Original air date|
|01||"Now We're High School Students"
"Kōkōsei ni Narimashita" (高校生になりました)
|April 9, 2013|
|Yuzuko Nonohara, Yui Ichii, and Yukari Hinata begin their first day at high school before visiting some shops around town. Noticing the Data Processing Club has no members, the girls check out the clubroom and spend all day looking up information on the computer.|
|02||"Data Processing Club"
|April 16, 2013|
|Following an odd discussion about breasts, Yui points out that their class representative, Chiho Aikawa, doesn't seem to get along with Yuzuko and Yukari due to their constant teasing. Feeling they are more or less an official club, the others decide to nominate Yukari as the president. Later, as the summer heat gets to everyone, the girls look up various facts about ice-cream.|
|03||"It's Summer Vacation!"
"Natsu Yasumi Jāi!" (夏休みじゃーい!)
|April 23, 2013|
|It's summer vacation and the girls visit the pool and hang around before having a sleepover at Yui's house. Later, Yukari goes on a trip to an island resort, prompting much conversation between Yui and Yuzuko.|
|April 30, 2013|
|The club's advisor, Yoriko Matsumoto, tries to get used to being called "Mom" by her students, whilst the girls look up whale facts. Later, Yui ends up spending the entire night reading a book, leaving her irritable and crazed due to lack of sleep. As she eventually collapses and rests in the nurse's office, Chiho feels a sense of joy when she is able to take a photo of her sleeping face.|
|05||"Yui and Yukari and Yuzuko"
"Yui to Yukari to Yuzuko" (唯と縁とゆずこ)
|May 7, 2013|
|Yui recalls when she and Yukari met each other in elementary school and became friends. The next day, the girls have various discussions, which mostly revolve around death.|
|06||"First Snow Nabe"
"Hatsuyuki Nabe" (初雪なべ)
|May 14, 2013|
|On a particularly cold day, the girls talk about potatoes and look into the days of the week. Later, the girls have a nabe party at Yoriko's apartment after failing to get approval to have it in the clubroom.|
"San Gakki!" (3学期っ!)
|May 21, 2013|
|As the new year begins, both Yuzuko and Yukari take turns coming over to Yui's house, where they mostly sleep, before coming round together. At the start of the new semester, as Chiho offers to make the girls chocolate, they end up researching about eyes.|
|08||"We're In Our Second Year Now"
"Ninensei ni Narimashita" (2年生になりました)
|May 28, 2013|
|After the girls enter their second year and reminisce about their past year at school, they look up some facts about water. Meanwhile, Chiho's friend Kei Okano, who is usually cold towards Yui due to Chiho's fondness of her, changes her opinion of her after she helps to pay for some snacks at the convenience store. Later, the girls try to get to know Yoriko a little better.|
|June 4, 2013|
|The girls invite Chiho to visit the Data Processing club, where she gets to know Yui a little better. After looking up ogres, the girls decide to go with Chiho and Kei to their friend Fumi Hasegawa's house.|
|10||"Because It's Fun"
"Tanoshii kara" (楽しいから)
|June 11, 2013|
|Yuzuko plays around with some artist dolls before indulging in a little comic artistry herself.|
|11||"Times Like These"
"Kōyū Jikan" (こーゆー時間)
|June 18, 2013|
|The girls look into the various aspects of time, before pondering what they'd like to do in the future.|
|12||"Uneventful Good Life"
"Nō Ibento Guddo Raifu" (ノーイベントグッドライフ)
|June 25, 2013|
|As summer vacation begins again, the girls spend most of their days at Yui's house, before later going to the beach.|
- "まんがタイムきらら 2008年4月号" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "ゆゆ式 (1) (まんがタイムKRコミックス)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved December 28, 2015.
- "ゆゆ式 (8) (まんがタイムKRコミックス)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- "Sentai Filmworks Licenses Yuyushiki Schoolgirl Anime". Anime News Network. 2013-04-22. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Crunchyroll Streams Yuyushiki Schoolgirl Anime". Anime News Network. 2013-04-08. Retrieved 2013-04-09.
- "TVアニメ「ゆゆ式」オープニングテーマ「せーのっ！」/情報処理部 (大久保瑠美、津田美波、種田梨沙)" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2013-04-09.
- "North American Anime, Manga Releases, June 29-July 5". Anime News Network. 2014-07-01. Retrieved 2014-07-25.
- "Yuyushiki Special OVA Ships on February 22 With Returning Cast, Staff". Anime News Network. November 30, 2016. Retrieved November 30, 2016.
- "Story" (in Japanese). Kinema Citrus. Retrieved 2016-04-24.