Yves Mersch (born 1 October 1949 in Luxembourg City) is a Luxembourgian jurist and lawyer who served as Governor of the Central Bank of Luxembourg from the bank's formation in 1998 until 2012 and as a member of the Executive Board of the European Central Bank since 2012.
In 1973 he received his Master’s degree in Law from the University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, in 1974 he finished his Postgraduate degree in International Public Law, Master of Political Science,from the University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, and in 1975 he earned his Postgraduate degree in Political Science,from the University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne. He has been a member of the European Central Bank's Executive Board, succeeding José Manuel González Paramo, since December 2012.  He has been regarded as relatively hawkish on interest rate policy.
Since both Governors of National Central Banks and members of the Executive Board of the European Central Bank sit on its Governing Council, Mersch has been a member of the Governing Council since its beginnings.
In late June, 2011, speaking while at the annual general meeting of the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Mersch said, "it is chaos," when asked what would happen if Greece were to default on its debts. He was described as "a key member" of the ECB Governing Council in the report.
Mersch studied international law in Paris and is member of the Luxembourgish bar. He is married and has two children.
- Elected Co-Chair of the Financial Stability Board’s Regional Consultative Group for Europe (2011-12)
- President of the Fondation de la Banque centrale du Luxembourg (BCL’s Foundation) which promotes research and higher education in the BCL’s fields of activity (2011-12)
- Deputy Chair of the Governing Board of the International Islamic Liquidity Management Corporation (IILM) (2010-12)
- Member of the Board of the Luxembourg School of Finance Foundation (FLSF) (2006-12)
- President of the non-profit association, The Bridge Forum Dialogue a.s.b.l, founded in 2000 with the participation of the European Union institutions and bodies established in Luxembourg (2000-12)
- Alternate Governor for Luxembourg on the Board of Governors of the International Monetary Fund (IMF)(1998-2012)
- "Profile". Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- "Member of the ECB's Executive Board: Yves Mersch". European Central Bank. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Mid-Day Report: Euro Rebounds on Hawkish Mersch", ActionForex.com February 22, 2011 14:17 GMT. For example.
- "The recent subprime turbulences" pdf of speech by Y. Mersch
- Buell, Todd, "ECB's Mersch: 'It is chaos' if Greece defaults", MarketWatch, June 26, 2011, 11:46 a.m. EDT. Retrieved 2011-06-26.
- Central Bank of Luxembourg Yves Mersch biographie Retrieved 23 October 2010. Biography in English.
|This Luxembourgish biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an economist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|