Zürich Selnau railway station
Once the terminus of the SZU lines, Selnau station is now a through station on the line into Zurich Hauptbahnhof. As this line runs in a tunnel along and under the bed of the River Sihl, its access is via this structure in the river
City of Zürich,
Canton of Zürich,
|Owned by||Sihltal Zürich Uetliberg Bahn|
|Operated by||Sihltal Zürich Uetliberg Bahn|
Zürich Selnau, (German: Zürich Selnau or Bahnhof Selnau), is an underground railway station on the Zürich S-Bahn system in Selnau in the centre of the Swiss city of Zürich. The station is on a section of tunnel common to the Uetliberg line and the Sihltal line, both of which are operated by the Sihltal Zürich Uetliberg Bahn (SZU).
The original Bahnhof Selnau was an above-ground terminal station, serving as the Zürich city terminus of both the Uetliberg and Sihltal lines. It first opened in 1875 to serve the Uetliberg line, and was reached by the Sihltal line in 1892.
In 1990, the two lines were extended to an underground terminus at Zürich Hauptbahnhof via a tunnel running under and along the River Sihl. The original Bahnhof Selnau was by-passed by this line, and a new underground intermediate station was provided adjacent to the former terminus. The original terminal was then redeveloped.
|Operator||Train Type||Route||Typical Frequency||Notes|
|Zürich Hbf - Zürich Selnau - Zürich Giesshübel - Zürich Saalsporthalle-Sihlcity - Zürich Brunau - Zürich Manegg - Zürich Leimbach - Sood-Oberleimbach - Adliswil - Sihlau - Wildpark-Höfli - Langnau-Gattikon - Sihlwald||3-6 trains per hour||1 train per hour beyond Langnau-Gattikon|
|Zürich Hbf - Zürich Selnau - Zürich Binz - Zürich Friesenberg - Zürich Schweighof - Zürich Triemli - Uitikon Waldegg - Ringlikon - Uetliberg||3-6 trains per hour||Some trains terminate at Triemli|
The underground station has two tracks, served by a central platform. The platform has access to the street at each end, with the northern access emerging through an unusual mid-river structure within the River Sihl.
- "Bahn S4/S10" [Railway S4/S10] (in German). SZU. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
- "City of Zurich Network" (PDF). ZVV. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- Eisenbahnatlas Schweiz. Verlag Schweers + Wall GmbH. 2012. pp. 64–65. ISBN 978-3-89494-130-7.
- "Geschichte der Sihltalbahn" [History of the Sihltalbahn] (PDF) (in German). SZU. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- "Geschichte der Uetlibergbahn" [History of the Uetlibergbahn] (PDF) (in German). SZU. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- "Geschichte" [History] (in German). SZU. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- "Zürich HB–Adliswil–Langnau-Gattikon–Sihlwald" (PDF). Bundesamt für Verkehr. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "Zürich HB–Triemli–Uetliberg" (PDF). Bundesamt für Verkehr. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
Media related to Bahnhof Zürich Selnau at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a railway station in Switzerland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|