|784,160.36 Swiss franc (2017)|
|Total assets||19,434,323 Swiss franc (2017)|
Number of employees
The Zürichsee-Fähre Horgen–Meilen, or Horgen–Meilen Lake Zurich ferry, is a Swiss car ferry that operates across Lake Zurich between the lakeside towns of Horgen and Meilen. The ferry route is situated 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) south of the city of Zurich, and the ferry avoids a round trip by road of some 30 kilometres (19 mi) by road via that city.
The company was founded in 1932, with operation commencing in November 1933. Initially the service was run with the single ferry Schwan, built for the opening, and providing a half-hourly service. Service was suspended between 1942 and 1946, as a consequence of Second World War. From 1946, the ferry was reintroduced with an hourly service.
Over time, demand rose so that a continuous shuttle operation had to be introduced. In 1968 a replacement vessel, also known as Schwan, was launched and took over the service, providing a half-hourly service. Over the next 35 years, four further ferries were constructed, allowing a more frequent service to be provided.
On the Horgen side of the lake, the ferries operate from a ferry terminal with its own road-bridge across the lakeside railway line, and some 600 metres (2,000 ft) on foot along the lakeside promenade from Horgen railway station. On the Meilen side of the lake, the ferries operate from a ferry terminal on Seestrasse, a similar distance from Meilen railway station.
Ferries operate from early morning to late evening. Ferries operate every 10 minutes throughout the day, with frequencies increasing to every 6 or 7 minutes in peak periods. The crossing time is 10 minutes.
In 2011, 69,950 ferry crossings were operated, carrying in total 2,192,175 people, 1,226,540 cars and 99,470 trucks.
The ferry service is operated with a fleet of five motor ferries:
|Schwan||45.9 metres (151 ft)||13 metres (43 ft)||36||300||Bodan-Werft GmbH||1969 (rebuilt 1999)|
|Meilen||48.5 metres (159 ft)||12.2 metres (40 ft)||40||300||Bodan-Werft GmbH||1979|
|Horgen||49.5 metres (162 ft)||13 metres (43 ft)||40||300||Bodan-Werft GmbH||1991|
|Zürisee||55 metres (180 ft)||13 metres (43 ft)||44||300||Bodan-Werft GmbH||1999|
|Burg||55 metres (180 ft)||13 metres (43 ft)||44||300||Bodan-Werft GmbH||2003|
- Zürichsee-Schifffahrtsgesellschaft, the main passenger ferry operator on Lake Zurich
- "Zürichsee-Fähre Horgen-Meilen AG" [Lake Zurich Horgen-Meilen Ferry Company] (in German). Zürichsee-Fähre Horgen-Meilen AG. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- map.geo.admin.ch (Map). Swiss Confederation. Retrieved 2013-04-04.
- "Gescchichte" [History] (in German). Zürichsee-Fähre Horgen-Meilen AG. Retrieved 2013-04-04.
- "Betriebszeiten" [Operating Hours] (in German). Zürichsee-Fähre Horgen-Meilen AG. Retrieved 2013-04-04.
- "Zahlen und Fakten" [Facts and Figures] (in German). Zürichsee-Fähre Horgen-Meilen AG. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zürichsee-Fähre.|
- Official web site of the Horgen–Meilen ferry (in German)