|Type||Electromechanical (mechanical and relay-based) digital computer|
|CPU||600 electrical relay circuits @ ca. 5 Hz|
|Removable storage||Punch cards|
|Mass||300 kg (660 lb)|
The Z2 was an electromechanical (mechanical and relay-based) digital computer that was completed by Konrad Zuse in 1940. It was an improvement on the Z1 Zuse built in his parents' home, which used the same mechanical memory. In the Z2, he replaced the arithmetic and control logic with 600 electrical relay circuits, weighing over 600 pounds.
The Z2 could read 64 words from punch cards. Photographs and plans for the Z2 were destroyed by the Allied bombing during World War II. In contrast to the Z1, the Z2 used 16-bit fixed-point arithmetic instead of 22-bit floating point.
|Frequency||Ca. 5 Hertz|
|Arithmetic Unit||Fixed point arithmetic unit with 16 bit word length|
|Average calculation Speed||0.8 sec for addition operation|
|Number of Relays||600|
|Memory||64 words (same as Z1)|
|Power Consumption||1000 watts|
|Weight||300 kg (660 lb)|
- Weiss, Eric A. (Summer 1996). "Konrad Zuse Obituary". IEEE Annals of the History of Computing. 18 (2): 3–4. doi:10.1109/mahc.1996.489747. ISSN 1058-6180.(NB. Z1 and Z2.)
- Williams, Michael Roy (1985). A history of computing technology. Prentice-Hall. p. 219. ISBN 978-0-13389917-7. Retrieved 2022-07-10. (NB. Also search the book for Luftfahrt - further part.)
- De Mol, Liesbeth (2007). "Chapter 4.1.3 Zuse's Z1, Z2, Z3, Z4 and Plankalkül". Tracing Unsolvability. A Mathematical, Historical and Philosophical Analysis with a Special Focus on Tag Systems (PDF). p. 212. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2022-03-16. Retrieved 2018-05-12.  (xii+679 pages)
- Zuse, Horst (2000). "Konrad Zuse's Z1 and Z3 Computers". The Life and Work of Konrad Zuse. EPE Online. Archived from the original on 2008-06-01. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- Hellige, Hans Dieter, ed. (2004). Geschichten der Informatik. Visionen, Paradigmen, Leitmotive (in German). Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. p. 115. ISBN 3-540-00217-0.
- Zuse, Horst (2015). "Z2 Data Sheet". Archived from the original on 2022-02-22. Retrieved 2015-02-09.
- Rojas, Raúl (Spring 2006) [2005-05-12]. "The Zuse Computers". Resurrection - The Bulletin of the Computer Conservation Society (edited transscript of speech). Vol. 37. Computing Before Computers seminar, Science Museum: Computer Conservation Society (CCS). ISSN 0958-7403. Archived from the original on 2022-06-25. Retrieved 2008-07-26.