This article needs to be updated.June 2014)(
|Industry||Electricity Generation and Supply|
|Revenue||US$ 250 million (2007)|
Number of employees
ZESCO (formerly known as Zambia Electricity Supply Corporation Limited) is a state-owned power company in Zambia. It is Zambia's largest power company producing about 80% of the electricity consumed in the country. ZESCO represents Zambia in the Southern African Power Pool.
The company operates 9 hydropower stations with a combined capacity of 2,217.5 MW and eight small thermal power plants with a combined capacity of 11.3 MW resulting in a total installed capacity of 2,228.8 MW.
The company also owns and operates power distribution and transmission lines of 9,975 km.
ZESCO has formed power purchase agreements with private companies that own power plants in Zambia. It purchases the power produced and feeds is directly into the national grid. GL Africa Energy provides the national grid through ZESCO with over 105MW of power under this agreement.
- Kafue Gorge Upper, 990 MW
- Kariba North Bank, 720 MW
- Kariba North Bank Extension, 360 MW
- Victoria Falls, 108 MW
- Itezhi-Tezhi Dam, 120 MW
The national grid in Zambia only extends to some parts of the country. For example, it ends 380 kilometres (240 mi) from the Ikelenge area around Kalene Hill in the extreme northwest, and as of 2008 ZESCO had no plans to provide power to this remote area. In response, some small-scale private operations have been established such as the Zengamina 700KW hydro generator. The Energy Regulation Board is encouraging private investment in hydro power generation in view of the power deficit.
- Energy Sector Report 2014 (PDF) (Report). Energy Regulation Board, Zambia. 2015.
- Kangali, Chatula (2016-04-29). "Zambia: Ndola Energy Project to Expand". The Times of Zambia (Ndola). Retrieved 2017-07-07.
- "Zengamina Hydro Project". North West Zambia Development Trust. Retrieved 2011-12-16.
- "ERB Approves Zengamina Tariffs" (PDF). The Energy Regulator (SECOND ed.). 2008. Retrieved 2011-12-16.
|This article about a company or corporation involved in the energy industry is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Zambia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|