This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
ZEVS is a facility of the Russian Navy to transmit messages to submerged submarines in deep water using ELF waves. It is located near Murmansk on the Kola Peninsula. As ZEVS works on 82 hertz, it can be only used for very rudimentary transmissions. Due to its extreme low frequency the techniques used by ZEVS are quite different from that of standard transmitters.
The antenna used by ZEVS is a ground dipole. This is simply an arrangement of two widely separated electrodes, through which the transmission current is put in the ground.
As ZEVS is a location of high strategic importance, nearly no official information of the facility are available. Nearly all of the following information were gained with satellite picture, which can be seen on Wikimapia.
ZEVS consists of 2 units, situated at Kolenergo with electricity and have there the designation PS-373 (Cyrillic: ПС-373) and PS-393 (Cyrillic: ПС-393). These Kolenergo substations are designed for transmission ratings of 7.478 MVA and 7.446 MVA respectively, so the whole transmission power of ZEVS transmitter may be between 10 MW and 14 MW, making it the most powerful transmitter in Europe.and at . They are supplied by
From both units a feeder line of the ground dipole runs eastwards and ends at 68.778981 N 35.1515662 E and 68.7010474 N 35.2145822 E respectively. The grounding electrodes are wires running in East-West direction, which are laid just below the surface. They form a characteristic pattern on satellite pictures , .
The feeder line of the other ground dipole electrode turns from the stations in southwestern direction and then running northward, before they finish at 68.7948802 N 33.6278419 E and 68.7948802 N 33.6278419 E. As there are no traces of ground wires buried in low depth visible, rods running deep into the ground may be used there for the grounding.
- http://map.kolenergo.ru/ Map from KolEnergo website(in Russian)
- ZEVS, THE RUSSIAN 82 Hz ELF TRANSMITTER. A Extrem Low Frequency transmission-system, using the real longwaves. Trond Jacobsen at ALFLAB, Halden in Norway (in English)
- http://www.radioscanner.ru/forum/topic12739.html (in Russian)
- http://www.radioscanner.ru/forum/topic15128.html (in Russian)
- http://www.liveinternet.ru/community/3629085/post123817602/ (in Russian)
- Book about scientific usage of ZEVS: Взаимодействие электромагнитных полей контролируемых источников СНЧ диапазона с ионосферой и земной корой: Материалы Всероссийского (с международным участием) научно-практического семинара. В 2 т. / Рос. акад. наук, Отд. наук о Земле, Кольский научный центр, Геологический институт; гл. ред. академик РАН Е.П. Велихов, зам. гл. редактора д.г.-м.н. Ю.Л. Войтеховский. – Апатиты, 2014. – Т. 1. – 206 с. (in Russian)