ZF 4HP22 transmission
The 4HP22 is a four-speed automatic transmission from ZF Friedrichshafen AG for passenger cars with rear wheel drive or 4X4 layout. Introduced in 1980, it was produced through 2003, and has been used in a variety of cars from BMW, General Motors, Jaguar, Land Rover, Maserati, Peugeot, and Volvo.
The ZF 4HP22 can handle from 100 to 380 NM of input torque.
- Austin Tempest
- 1997–2002 4.0
- Austin Tempest
- 1981–1987 518i M10/B18: Type B
- 1981–1987 520i M20/B20: Type B
- 1986–1988 524d M21/D24: Type B
- 1983–1987 524td M21/D24: Type B
- 1983–1988 525e M20/B27: Type A
- 1981–1987 525i M30/B25: Type A
- 1981–1987 528e M20/B27
- 1981–1987 528i M30/B28: Type A
- 1983–1984 533i M30/B32
- 1984–1988 535i M30/B34: Type A
- 1983–1989 633CSi M30/B32
- 1983–1987 635CSi M30/B34
Jaguar xj6 1994-1997
- 1987–1997 3.6
- Land Rover
- Lotus Excel
- Excel SA 1986 –1991 Twin Cam 4 Cyl Lotus 2.2L 180bhp
- Lotus Excel
Four-wheel drive configuration
The 4HP22 transmission can be rendered undriveable when held on P or N setting and too high engine rotation speed is applied for too long, for instance during emissions testing. Examples of situations that could lead to transmission failure include warming up the catalytic converter on petrol engine-powered vehicle with too high RPM, or while measuring amount of smoke on diesel engine-powered vehicle and keeping the throttle full for too long time. The correct procedure would be to stop the engine for at least 90 seconds, do the test (without selecting again D or R, this means without re-pressurizing the gearbox) for no longer than a minute, and if the procedure must be repeated, stop again for at least 90 seconds and repeat. Another issue is the governor valve sticking, which can be caused by contamination. i.e. clutch plates or other parts disintegrating. The fine debris finds its way past the filter and tends to accumulate in the governor, causing it to stick. A temporary solution is to remove and clean the governor. The problem will often recur as debris from damaged parts continues to build up in the governor. If the problem continues after cleaning the governor then it may be necessary it replace the autobox. Usual symptoms are failing to shift after 1st gear while the gearbox is still cold, and then failing to kickdown to 1st while at a stop. The governor is located at the end of the gearbox and usually it starts to work again after a cleanup.
- "ZF North America application chart (automatic)" (PDF). ZF Friedrichshafen AG. ZF-Group.com. Retrieved 11 February 2006.
- "BMW E30 3 Series Specifications".
- "BMW E28 Specifications".
- "BMW E23 735i user manual, PDF p. 125" (PDF).
- "South African version BMW E23 745i user manual, PDF p. 117" (PDF).
- "BMW E34 user manual, 1989, p. 111".
- "BMW E32 user manual, PDF p. 51" (PDF).
- "Chevrolet Opala Specifications".
- "Chevrolet Opala Original table of gear ratios".
- A. K. Legg, Peugeot 505 Owners Workshop Manual, Haynes Publishing Group, 1989, ISBN 0-85696-762-9, p. 132
- Octavio Trentini, Reparación y ajuste de automoviles Peugeot 505, Cosmopolita publisher, 1995, ISBN 950-9069-69-8, p. 148, 149
- Peugeot 505 User manual, Peugeot, 1987, Paris, p. 146, 147
- Peugeot 505 User manual, Peugeot, 1987, Madrid, p. 109
- Peugeot 505 User manual, Peugeot, 1987, Madrid, p. 131
- "Volvo 740 User manual, 1985".
- "Volvo 740 User manual, 1986, PDF p. 126, 127" (PDF).
- "Volvo 760 GLE user manual, 1984, PDF p. 110" (PDF).
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-16. Retrieved 2009-11-12.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)