ZIMPOL/CHEOPS (Zurich Imaging Polarimeter) is a polarimetric imager being developed for the Very Large Telescope for the direct detection of extra-solar planets. The imager is operated by the European Southern Observatory on Cerro Paranal in the Atacama Desert of northern Chile.
The Zurich Imaging Polarimeter (ZIMPOL) provides diffraction limited classical imaging and differential polarimetric imaging (DPI) at 15 mas (milliarcsecond) resolution in the visible spectrum and is one of three scientific subsystem integrated into the VLT-SPHERE instrument used at VLT's Unit Telescope 3, Melipal.
- Schmid, H. M.; Gisler, D.; Joos, F.; Povel, H. P.; Stenflo, J. O.; Feldt, M.; et al. (2005-12-01) [15–19 March 2004]. A. Adamson; C. Aspin; C. J. Davis; T. Fujiyoshi, eds. "ZIMPOL/CHEOPS: a Polarimetric Imager for the Direct Detection of Extra-solar Planets". Astronomical Polarimetry: Current Status and Future Directions ASP Conference Series, Conference Proceedings. Waikoloa, Hawai'i, USA. 343: 89. Bibcode:2005ASPC..343...89S. Retrieved 2012-01-22.
- "ZIMPOL - The Zurich IMaging POLarimeter". Retrieved 2012-01-21.[dead link]
- The ZIMPOL high contrast imaging polarimeter for SPHERE: system test results. (PDF) Ronald Roelfsema, Andreas Bazzon, Hans Martin Schmid, Johan Pragt, Daniel Gisler, Carsten Dominik, Andrea Baruffolo, Jean-Luc Beuzit, Anne Costille, Kjetil Dohlen, Mark Downing, Eddy Elswijk, Menno de Haan, Norbert Hubin, Markus Kasper, Christoph Keller, Jean-Louis Lizonf, David Mouillet, Alexey Pavlov, Pascal Puget, Bernardo Salasnich, Jean-Francois Sauvage, Francois Wildik. 2014.
- "SPHERE Exposure Time Calculator – Instrument description". 26 February 2015. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "CHaracterizing Extrasolar planets by Opto-infrared Polarimetry and Spectroscopy". Archived from the original on 2012-01-23. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
|This article about a specific observatory, telescope or astronomical instrument is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This extrasolar-planet-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|