This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Z Communications is a left-wing activist-oriented media group founded in 1986 by Michael Albert and Lydia Sargent. It is, in broad terms, ideologically libertarian socialist, anticapitalist, and heavily influenced by participatory economics, although much of its content is focused on critical commentary of foreign affairs. Its publications include Z Magazine, ZNet, and Z Video.
Publications and organizations
Z Magazine (formerly Zeta) was established in 1987 by two of the co-founders of South End Press, Michael Albert and Lydia Sargent. It is published in print and on-line. Contributors to the magazine include Noam Chomsky, Edward S. Herman, Mike Kuhlenbeck, Jack Rasmas, Paul Street and Kevin Zeese. Articles written by Chomsky have been republished in the New Statesman.
Founded in 1995, Z Net (also known as ZNet and Z Communications) is a website with contributors that include Noam Chomsky, Eduardo Galeano, Boris Kagarlitsky, Edward Said, Chris Spannos and Kevin Zeese. John Pilger has described it as one of the best news sources online. Rene Milan of the Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies called the site a rich source of information about participism. The site was mentioned in the 2007 film Shooter.
Founded in 1994, Z Media Institute provides classes and other sessions in how to start and produce alternative media, how to better understand media, and how to develop organising skills. The institute has hosted Stephen Shalom presentations on parpolity a number of times.
- Max Elbaum. Revolution in the air: sixties radicals turn to Lenin, Mao and Che. London, England, UK; New York, New York, USA: Verso, 2002. p. 296.
- Joshua D. Atkinson, Alternative Media and Politics of Resistance: A Communication Perspective (Peter Lang, 2010), ISBN 978-1433105173, pp. 88-90. Excerpts available at Google Books.
- Chomsky, Noam. "Judge the US by deeds, not words". New Statesman. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- Herman, Edward S. "Krugman, Putin and the New York Times". Dissent Voice. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Workers getting burned by McDonald's greed". Peoples World. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "Exit Stage Right (Brexit) and Left (Grexit)". TeleSur. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- Street, Paul. "Name That System and/or Work to Overthrow It". TeleSur. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "Kevin Zeese's". Z Communication. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- Chomsky, Noam. "Is this really a grand Nato victory?". New Statesman. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- Pilger, John. "John Pilger prefers the web to TV news - it's more honest online". New Statesman. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "Chomsky's Bio Info". Z Net. Archived from the original on December 12, 2008. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- ""Good News," Iraq & Beyond, Part 1". Z Net. Archived from the original on December 16, 2008. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "Insurrection Debated". Adbusters. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- Zeese, Kevin. "U.S.A.: Mobilizing Against Halliburton, the "Poster Child for War Profiteering"". CorpWatch. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- Milan, Rene. "The Vision Thing". Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- Stevens, Dana. "Top Gun". Slate. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- Berger, Dan; Cornell, Andy. "Ten Questions for Movement Building". Monthly Review. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- Doherty, Alex. "The Politics Of A Good Society". New Left Project. Retrieved 22 May 2015.