Zabbix 3.0 dashboard
|Initial release||April 2001|
3.4.12 / July 30, 2018
3.4.2rc1 / September 14, 2017
|Written in||C (server, proxy, agent), PHP (frontend), Java (Java gateway)|
|Type||Network management system|
|License||GNU General Public License version 2|
Zabbix is an open source monitoring software for networks, operating systems and applications, created in Latvia by Alexei Vladishev. It is designed to monitor and track the status of various network services, servers, and other network hardware.
- Simple checks can verify the availability and responsiveness of standard services such as SMTP or HTTP without installing any software on the monitored host.
- A Zabbix agent can also be installed on UNIX and Windows hosts to monitor statistics such as CPU load, network utilization, disk space, etc.
- As an alternative to installing an agent on hosts, Zabbix includes support for monitoring via SNMP, TCP and ICMP checks, as well as over IPMI, JMX, SSH, Telnet and using custom parameters. Zabbix supports a variety of near-real-time notification mechanisms, including XMPP.
Zabbix started as an internal software project in 1998. After three years, in 2001, it was released to the public under GPL., three years later until the first stable version, 1.0, was released in 2004.
|Timeline of major releases|
|Date||Release||End of Full Support (3 years)||End of Limited Support (5 years)|
|1998||Zabbix started as an internal project in a bank by Alexei Vladishev||-||-|
|7 Apr 2001||Zabbix 1.0alpha1 is released as GPL||-||-|
|23 Mar 2004||Zabbix 1.0 released||-|
|6 Feb 2006||Zabbix 1.1 released||-||-|
|29 May 2007||Zabbix 1.4 released||-||-|
|11 Sep 2008||Zabbix 1.6 released||-||-|
|7 Dec 2009||Zabbix 1.8 released||-||-|
|21 May 2012||Zabbix 2.0 Long Term Support (LTS) released||August, 2015 ||August, 2017 |
|12 Nov 2013||Zabbix 2.2 LTS released||August, 2017 ||August, 2019 |
|11 Sep 2014||Zabbix 2.4 released||-||-|
|16 Feb 2016||Zabbix 3.0 LTS released||February, 2019 ||February, 2021 |
|14 Sep 2016||Zabbix 3.2 released||-||-|
|22 Aug 2017||Zabbix 3.4 released||-||-|
- High performance, high capacity (able to monitor hundreds of thousands of devices).
- Auto-discovery of servers and network devices.
- Low-level discovery.
- Distributed monitoring with centralized web administration.
- Native high performance agents (client software for Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, OS X, Tru64/OSF1, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7)
- SLA, and ITIL KPI metrics on reporting.
- High-level (business) view of monitored resources through user-defined visual console screens and dashboards.
- Remote command execution through Zabbix proxies since August 2017 , up to Zabbix 3.4
- Agent-less monitoring.
- Web-based interface.
- Support for both polling and trapping mechanisms.
- JMX monitoring.
- Web monitoring.
Security and authentication
- Audit log.
- Secure user authentication.
- Flexible user permissions.
- Flexible e-mail notification on predefined events.
- Near-real-time notification mechanisms, for example using including XMPP protocol
Zabbix is primarily developed by a Zabbix LLC company.
Zabbix consists of several separate modules:
- Zabbix Server, not supported in Windows
- Zabbix Agents
- Zabbix Frontend
- Zabbix Proxy, not supported in Windows
Since the first stable version was released as 1.0, Zabbix versioning has used minor version numbers to denote major releases. Each minor release actually implements many new features, while change level releases mostly introduce bugfixes.
Zabbix version numbering scheme has changed over time. While the first two stable branches were 1.0 and 1.1, after 1.1 it was decided to use odd numbers for development versions and even numbers for stable versions. As a result, 1.3 followed 1.1 as a development release to be released as 1.4.
Note: this chart excludes release candidates in stable branches.
- "Release Notes for Zabbix". 30 July 2018. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- List of supported databases in the manual
- Presentation, containing early history
- Freshmeat announcement page
- Zabbix release list
- Vidmar, Anže (March 12, 2007). ZABBIX: State-of-the-art network monitoring Linux.com
- Ramm, Mark (March 15, 2005). The Watcher Knows, Linux Magazine
- Schroder, Carla (May 24, 2005). Monitor Your Net with Free, High-Performance ZABBIX, Enterprise Networking Planet
- ZABBIX - monitoring your applications, network and servers debianhelp.co.uk (Installation Instructions for Debian or Ubuntu Machines)
- (2010) Zabbix 1.8 Network Monitoring - Packt Publishing ISBN 978-1-84719-768-9
- (2013) Mastering Zabbix - Packt Publishing ISBN 978-1-78328-349-1
- (2015) Zabbix Cookbook - Packt Publishing
- (2015) Zabbix Network Monitoring Essentials - Packt Publishing
- (2016) Zabbix Network Monitoring - Second Edition - Packt Publishing ISBN 9781782161288