Samedov warming-up at K-1 Turkey 2007
July 21, 1984
Gardabani, Georgian SSR, Soviet Union
|Other names||Maugli (Mowgli)|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||98.0 kg (216.1 lb; 15.43 st)|
|Style||Kickboxing, Muay Thai|
|Fighting out of||Minsk, Belarus|
Dmitry Piochesky |
Aziz Dursunov (formerly)
|Mixed martial arts record|
last updated on: July 6, 2014
Zabit "Maugli" Samedov (Azerbaijani: Zabit Səmədov, Russian: Забит Самедов, born June 21, 1984) is an Azerbaijani kickboxer fighting out of Chinuk Gym in Minsk, Belarus. He has competed in the K-1, It's Showtime and SUPERKOMBAT promotions.
As of 1 September 2018, he is ranked the #7 heavyweight in the world by Combat Press.
Biography and career
Zabit Samedov was born in Georgia into an Azerbaijani family and moved to Minsk when he was 10 years old. He started practicing martial arts at the age of 9. At very first he studied karate for 6 months under Aziz Dursunov, then switched to Muay Thai. In 1998, he joined Chinuk Gym, a well known gym based in Minsk. He trained with Alexey Ignashov and Sergei Gur under the management of his trainer Dmitriy Pyasetsky.
He was recruited by top martial arts organization K-1 after achieving several titles in various events between 2004 and 2006. He began to fight with consistency by attaining the title of K-1 Fighting Network in Riga in 2006 in Latvia.
On August 17, 2007, following the K-1 World GP 2007 in Las Vegas event the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) issued a statement that Samedov tested positive for Stanozolol, an anabolic steroid.
Samedov fought at the K-1 World Grand Prix 2009 in Łódź where he beat, Mindaugas Sakalauskas by unanimous decision and Raul Catinas and Sergei Lascenko to finally make it to the Final 16. At the K-1 World Grand Prix 2009 Final 16 Samedov was knocked out by Badr Hari in the first round. He's now set to fight Igor Jurković on United Glory 15.
He faced Xavier Vigney at the K-1 World Grand Prix 2012 in Tokyo Final 16 on October 14, 2012 and totally outclassed the young American, flooring him three times in the first round to win via TKO.
He was scheduled to face Andrei Stoica for the inaugural SUPERKOMBAT Super Cruiserweight Championship at the SUPERKOMBAT World Grand Prix 2012 Final in Bucharest, Romania on December 22 but pulled out due to illness.
At the K-1 World Grand Prix 2012 Final on March 15, 2013 in Zagreb, Croatia, he was originally drawn against Ben Edwards in the quarter-finals. However, Edwards withdrew due to having a fight booked with Paul Slowinski a week later, and was replaced by Badr Hari. Samedov was knocked down in round one and received a standing eight count in three, losing a unanimous decision.
A third fight with Badr Hari took place at Legend 1 in Moscow, Russia on May 25, 2013. Samedov dropped Hari late in round one, and sent him to the canvas again with a left hook in the second. Although Hari seemed lucid, he stayed on his knees and did not beat the count, giving Samedov the KO victory.
He competed in the -93 kg/205 lb tournament at Legend 2: Invasion in Moscow, Russia on November 9, 2013, taking a unanimous decision over Melvin Manhoef in the semi-finals. He was set to fight Pavel Zhuravlev in the final but was unable to do so due to a cut and was replaced by Agron Preteni.
Returning to the ring for the first time in eight months, Samedov scored a 21-second high kick knockout over Stefan Leko on the undercard of the Ruslan Chagaev vs. Fres Oquendo boxing match in Grozny, Russia on July 6, 2014.
|K-1 World GP||Avropa – Maestro Ceyhun|
|United Glory 14||Sari Gelin – Alihan Samedov|
- In his free time, he also likes to play football.
In 2009, Samedov accused Alistair Overeem, Badr Hari and Errol Zimmerman of steroid use during their fights. His claims were supported by Badr Hari and Ruslan Karaev. In 2012, Overeem was revealed to have failed his pre-fight drug test by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC). Overeem had a 14-to-1 testosterone-to-epitestosterone (T/E) ratio, over the allowed ratio rate of 6-to-1. On Friday April 20, 2012, UFC President Dana White confirmed that Overeem had been removed from his fight with Dos Santos and replaced by Frank Mir.
- 2016 WBC Muaythai World Heavywheight Champion -104.50 kg
- 2015 GFC Fight Series 3 Heavyweight Tournament Champion
- K-1 World Grand Prix 2009 in Łódź champion
- 2008 K-1 Europe GP runner-up
- 2007 K-1 World Grand Prix in Las Vegas runner up
- 2007 K-1 Rules Kick Tournament in Marseilles champion
- 2006 K-1 Fighting Network in Riga champion
- 2006 K-1 Hungary champion
- 2006 IFMA World Amateur Muay Thai Championship Winner in Thailand
- 2006 WMF World Amateur Muay Thai Championship Winner in Thailand
- 2004 WBKF European Kickboxing champion
- 2004 WAKO Thaiboxing World champion in Ukraine
- 2003 "Kristall Cup" Kickboxing runner-up
- 2002 "Kristall Cup" Kickboxing champion
- 2002 WBKF BARS Gold Cup Kickboxing champion
- 2001 IFMA European Muay Thai champion
- 2000 WAKO Thaiboxing World Cup champion
110 Total (100 (Win) (35 (T) KO's, 64 decisions), 9 Losses, 1 Draw
Legend: Win Loss Draw/No contest Notes
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|2 matches||2 wins||0 losses|
|Win||2-0||Vitali Oparin||KO (spinning back kick)||Russian MMA Championship||June 1, 2012||1||N/A||Saint Petersburg, Russia|
|Win||1-0||Yuri Gorbenko||TKO (retirement)||RF - Real Fight-FC||March 25, 2011||1||5:00||Minsk, Belarus|
- "Combat Press Kickboxing Rankings: September 2018". combatpress.com.
- Zabit's Biography from his official website
- Забит Самедов: «Мне предлагали стать боксером и сотрудничать с Доном Кингом» (in Russian)
- Забит САМЕДОВ: Мне предлагали стать боксером и сотрудничать с Дон Кингом (in Russian)
- Brookhouse, Brent (August 17, 2007). "Two More Positive Drug Tests In Fight World". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2007-08-17.
- Monty DiPietro. "Zimmerman is the Man at K-1 Europe GP". k-1.co.jp. Retrieved 2008-08-26.
- Dave Walsh. "K-1 Final 16 Matches Unveiled". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "K-1 WGP Final 16, Finalized Fight Card For This Sunday, October 14". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "K-1 World Grand Prix Final 16 Live Results". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "SuperKombat WGP Final 2012 Fight Card, Ustream PPV Available". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "K-1 WGP Final 8 Match-Ups". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "Badr Hari to Replace Ben Edwards in K-1 World Grand Prix". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "K-1 World Grand Prix 2013 Live Results". LiverKick.com.
- "K-1 World Grand Prix Final 8 results and LIVE kickboxing coverage from Zagreb, Croatia TODAY (March 15)". MMAmania.com.
- "Zabit Samedov Headlines SUPERKOMBAT HEROES in Vienna, "Azerbaijan vs. Europe" - FSA - FightSport Asia". FSA - FightSport Asia.
- Dave Walsh. "LiverKick - LiverKick".
- "Zabit Samedov Scores a High Kick KO at SUPERKOMBAT Vienna (Video)". FSA - FightSport Asia.
- "SUPERKOMBAT NEW HEROES Vienna: Full Results". FSA - FightSport Asia.
- Dave Walsh. "SuperKombat New Heroes Vienna Results". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "Badr Hari Rematching Zabit Samedov on May 25 in Moscow". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "Badr Hari Falls to Zabit Samedov at LEGEND in Russia in Round Two". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "Legend Fighting in Russia Full Results". LiverKick.com.
- "LEGEND- Badr Hari vs. Zabit Samedov Live Results". FSA - FightSport Asia.
- "Zabit Samedov Upsets Badr Hari in Moscow (Video)". FSA - FightSport Asia.
- "LEGEND results and gifs: Badr Hari KO'd, Sapp loses again". Bloody Elbow.
- Dave Walsh. "A Look at the Eclectic LEGEND: Invasion Fight Card".
- Dave Walsh. "LiverKick - LiverKick".
- "Legend Invasion 2 gifs and results from Moscow". Bloody Elbow.
- Jay Jauncey. "LiverKick - Zabit Samedov Vs Stefan Leko Full Fight".
- "Steroid Accusations Hit MMA World". www.sbnation.com. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- Забит Самедов: "Я один из редчайших бойцов, кто не потребляет допинг". valetudo.ru (in Russian). Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- "Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, likely out of UFC 146 title fight". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- "Alistair Overeem out, Frank Mir in against Junior Dos Santos at UFC 146". mmajunkie.com. April 20, 2012. Retrieved April 20, 2012.
- "Alistair Overeem denied license to fight, may reapply with NSAC on Dec. 27". mmajunkie.com. April 24, 2012. Retrieved April 24, 2012.
- "zabit samedov - dmytro bezus - RMO 2010 istanbul - fightbook tv". YouTube.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zabit Samedov.|