February 22, 1985 |
New Brighton, MN, USA
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||187 lb (85 kg; 13 st 5 lb)|
|Played for||Providence Bruins
Zach McKelvie (born February 22, 1985) is an American former professional ice hockey defenseman who is currently an assistant coach of the Army Black Knights. He played with the Providence Bruins and the Abbotsford Heat in the American Hockey League (AHL).
U.S. Military service
McKelvie attended United States Military Academy, where he played with the Army Black Knights in the NCAA's Division I Atlantic Hockey conference. On July 13, 2009, following his graduation from West Point, McKelvie was signed as a free agent by the Boston Bruins to a one-year contract. However, he was unavailable to play hockey during 2009–10 season because his enrollment at West Point required him to fulfill U.S. Military service requirements, and on July 1, 2010 he was re-signed by the Bruins. Despite his prospect for a successful professional hockey career, the U.S. Military has required McKelvie to complete a second year of active military duty before he will be allowed to join the Bruins organization.
After spending the duration of the 2011-12 season with the Bruins affiliates, the Providence Bruins and the Reading Royals, McKelvie signed as a free agent on a one-year deal with the Abbotsford Heat of the American Hockey League on July 2, 2012.
In the 2013-14 season, McKelvie played 13 games with the Heat before he was reassigned to ECHL affiliate, the Alaska Aces. He played in 21 post-season games to help the Aces claim the Kelly Cup. On June 25, 2014, McKelvie signalled his retirement from professional hockey in accepting an assistant coaching role with his collegiate team the Army Black Knights.
Awards and honors
|Atlantic Hockey Best Defenseman||2007-08|||
|All-Atlantic Hockey First Team||2007-08|||
|All-Atlantic Hockey First Team||2008-09|
- National Hockey League (2010). The National Hockey League Official Guide & Record Book/2011. Triumph Books. p. 316. ISBN 978-1-60078-422-4.
- Player Bio - Zach McKelvie
- Kirk's Call » Blog Archive » Zach McKelvie’s Pro Hockey Dreams on Hold
- "Bruins Sign McQuaid To Three-year Contract Extension". Fox News. 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "McKelvie's unusual path to the pro ranks". Calgary Flames. 2012-07-02. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- "McKelvie returns to West Point as an Assistant Coach". Army Black Knights. 2014-06-25. Retrieved 2014-06-25.
- Zach McKelvie career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Zach McKelvie's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
|Awards and achievements|
|Atlantic Hockey Best Defenseman
|This biographical article relating to an American ice hockey defenseman is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|