July 29, 1989 |
|2016, for the Yokohama Bay Stars|
Petrick graduated from Morris Community High School in Morris, Illinois. He then enrolled at Joliet Junior College. He transferred to the University of Northwestern Ohio, and was signed by the St. Louis Cardinals as an undrafted free agent. He played the 2012 season with the Johnson City Cardinals of the Rookie-level Appalachian League.
Petrick began the 2013 season with the Peoria Chiefs of the Class A Midwest League, and received midseason promotions to the Palm Beach Cardinals of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League and Springfield Cardinals of the Class AA Texas League. For the season, he combined a 7–3 record (W–L) with a 1.99 earned run average (ERA) and eight saves covering 34 appearances and 13 starts between Peoria, Palm Beach, and Springfield. Pitching at first in relief, his ERA at Peoria was 0.83 and Palm Beach 0.27. At Springfield, he assumed a starting role. In December, the Cardinals named Petrick their 2013 Minor League Pitcher of the Year. "[At Springfield], after nine starts, he established himself for the season as our Minor League Pitcher of the year for 2013", commented Gary LaRocque, the Cardinals' farm director.
- "Suburban Chicago Newspapers – Search Results". newsbank.com. Retrieved April 27, 2015.
- "Goss: For starters, Zach Petrick prospering in relief with Peoria Chiefs – Joliet Herald News". Heraldnews.suntimes.com. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "Right-handed pitcher Zach Petrick went undrafted in 2012, a year later he is an emerging prospect for the St. Louis Cardinals | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. July 22, 2013. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "Goss: 2013 provides evidence Joliet-area baseball is back – Joliet Herald News". Heraldnews.suntimes.com. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- Cardinals Press Release (December 11, 2013). "St. Louis Cardinals name Wong and Petrick Minor League Player & Pitcher of the Year". stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com. Retrieved July 10, 2014.